In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hunting Turkey

gunbrokermangunbrokerman Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a Benelli Nova. What is the best shell to use and what is the best choke for TURKEY! Don't break my bank!!!!

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the mixed shot rounds. I can't remember who makes it (and I am too lazy and tired to go look [:D] ).
    I THINK I shoot 3.5" mags (in my Benelli SBE) with mixed 4's and 6's, but I don't remember. I'd get an extended extra-full turkey choke also. Made mine lethal another 10 yards.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    if you really want a answer to this question then you're going to 1. get several different type of shells 2. try different chokes 3. get targets and pattern your gun ..
    I've found in MY guns that usually 3" # 5 work better from winchester, but I have a 20 ga that loves 3" remington # 4
    each gun is different , what works well in one may not be worth a darn in a different one
    when you start patterning your gun start up close 20 yards or less , use a rest, so you can see if the center of your pattern is hitting the target where you're aiming, if the guns shooting off , then you're going to need some type of sights , so you can adjust the point of aim..
    work back until you're out to atleast 40 yards , at any point if you're not getting between 20 and 30 hits in the head neck area ,then you've found your guns max range with that load

Winchester turkey loads are really good and they say these new Remington Hevy shot are going to be the rage but at $20 for a box of 10 they're a little pricey
  • Options
    bmxrcbmxrc Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot my Jake with my NOVA last yr. Load was 2 1/4oz. #5 3 1/2 winchester. I kick little bit (ALOT) use stock full choke and had descent group at 40ydrs.. Hasting make good choke for 20-30.00..
    Wal-mart in town carry a Northwind choke for 15.00 made in TX.
    3 1/2 if you can handle recoil when patterning gun