In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is the name of the german submachine gun WWII

FHPtrooperFHPtrooper Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
If ya know tell me plz :P thnk you..and any other world war II german/russian arms if you can think of any besides the pistols and mauser(sp?).

Comments

• Options
    Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9 mm Parabellum MP 38 (ERMA Designed)

The first sub-machine gun to be adopted by the German Army after the MP 18 I. This weapon was developed by the ERMA WERKE at the request of the German Army. This is often referred to as a Schmeiser, but it is doubtful if he had any connection with its design at all. It was, however, produced in some quantities by the Haenel firm of which Schmeiser was General Manager and used in World War 2.

Here is the link: http://www.rememuseum.org.uk/arms/submachg/armsmg2.htm

It was later developed into the MP-40 which is more common, also known as a "Schmeiser". Here is a good link for that and more German weapons:
    http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/military/weapons-german-submachineguns.html
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After the MP-38, there was also the MP-40 also in 9mm.
    Trivia, MP stands for Machine Pistol.
    There was at the end of the war, a new rifle/round was introduced by the Germans, the 8mm Kurtz (8mm short) which are the grandfathers of both the 7.62x39 round and the assult rifle concept (don't have the rifle designation committed to memory).
    On the Russian side, there is the whole PPhS (?) family.

Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    "(don't have the rifle designation committed to memory"

I believe it was STG44 if I'm not mistaken. Some of the late STG's to go into service had a primitive night vision scope on them.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the MP 44 .
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    German designations for weapons suffered from the same errors that our cartridge designations have. Sometimes they are not techically correct. MP is Machinenpistole. STG is sturmgewehr (translates to "Storm Rifle" i.e. "Assault Rifle"). The 8mm Kurz cannot be considered a pistol cartridge which is a basic requirement of a submachinegun designation (that it be a pistol cartridge). The MP43/44 series was named to placate Hitler who, during development, insisted that barrels not be drilled for gas systems on rifles.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was also a 9mm Solothurn (sp).
  • Options
    trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys forgot about the 9mm bergman

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun jine the cavalry
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the MP 40 was referred to as the "rattlesnake" and was most used.

Mobuck
  • Options
    Hans GrueberHans Grueber Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is also the Ppsh-41, a Russian Sub-machinegun. Which I believe fired a 9mm similar to a german parabellum.