In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Elk Hunting best 300 win mag cartridge ????

VADALEJRFANVADALEJRFAN Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2003 in Ask the Experts
I will be hunting elk and mule deer in idaho this fall and I need some help know what would be the best cartridge/ bullet for me to use in my 300 win mag Thanks Don

Comments

• Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 300 Win. Mag. can inflict terrible punishment on a bullet at high impact speeds, a lot of cartridges can. Since you will never know at what range you're shot might come at, you might consider a premium bullet. Now I might sound biased because I used to make them, but Swift has an excellent line of hunting bullets. In .308 dia. they have the Scirocco in 150, 165, and 180gr. versions. The A-Frame comes in 165, 180, and 200grainers. Out of the two the A-Frame is the toughest. It has a bonded front core and "tough as nails" crimped rear core. The Scirocco is a boat tail with a polymer tip, it to has a bonded core. Both bullets have 100% copper jackets and pure lead cores. I'm not trying to sound like a salesman ('cause I'm not) but these bullets are truly impressive performers at any range. If you are really interested in trying them ,I might have a small sample I would be glad to let you have ( again, I dont work there anymore, I just happen to have a lifetime supply in 30 cal.). If you dont hand load Remington sells Swift bullets in its Safari Grade and Premium line. The right bullet in your 300 will kill elk like nucular reaction.
  • Options
    varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rordog, Is not blowing smoke. I shoot the Sciroccos in both my .280, And 300 win mag. Very accurate.

rordog I am green over your liftime supply.

The most important things, Are not things.
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varmit Hunter, that 7mm 150 grainer is most likley "the best" hunting bullet ever made. (maybe, maybe not)
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's pretty hard to beat Nosler partitions.

Mobuck
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to add Wichester Fail-Safes to the list too. They are a lot like the partition, and if memory serves has a steel insert in them. They don't expand enough to fit my tastes for whitetail, but the thicker elk should open them up nicely. Let's see if this link will work for ya: http://winchester.com/ammunition/store/cfrlist.eye?cartlist=MzAwIFdpbmNoZXN0ZXIgTWFnbnVt&uselist=3&brandlist=none&image=on&summary=on&velocity=on&energy=on&shortrange=on&longrange=on

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a 300WBy and found that 180 grain bullets group the best with my rifle. It seems that the rifling twist for my particular barrel works best with that bulletweight.

I would take some rounds of each weight and see which grouped the best with my particular rifle as bullet placement is still the most important thing.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I was going to use the scirooco 180 in my 300 WBY, but on another forum I learned that they were not retaining their weight at 3000+. So I will use them in the non-mags.
    You need a good premium bullet. The Nosler partiotion, Swift-A-Frame, Barnes X, or the Speer Grand Slam. Which ever is most accurate in your gun.
    DO NOT BE TALKED INTO USING NON PREMIUM BULLETS!!!!!

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady Intelock in 180 grain did the job for me at 353 yards through the heart. (328.5 points)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jimmy,
    Hornady ARE NOT PREMIUM BULLETS. At 353 yds they are great. Had it been 53 you would have experanced bullet failure. I have seen this bullet in 180/308 and 162/284 littery explode on both deer and elk at close range when mv is 3000+.
    I have a general rule I advise people on bullet selection:
    284 or smaller calibier and/or 2800+ fps mv, always use a REAL permium bullet. (for big game)
    Good hunting and keep your powder dry![:)]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Rem 180 corelock previously with good results. Last year I hit a big bull on the point of the shoulder and the bullet penetrated only about 8" and blew up. It broke the shoulder but required another shot to the lungs to finish him. This was at 300+ yards. The previous shots had been at longer range. I usually keep track of lot numbers on my factory ammo but not sure if the loads last year were the same as the others. Anyway, I'm going to use the remaining shell for practice and go with Win Part Gold or Rem partitions. They always worked excellent in the 7 mag I used at one time.

Mobuck
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest that you go with the Swift A Frame or the Barnes X bullet. I would forget the Nosler's as I have had to many failures with them and have witnessed other shooters haveing problems with them. In your magnum I would go with the 200 grain bullet for better penetration, rather then one of the lighter bullets.
  • Options
    mkr12162mkr12162 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In regards to Jim Rau's comment on Scirocco's not retaining their weight, I recently got back from a mule deer trip, I shot a .300 Rem. Ultra Mag, I shot 180 gr. over 97grs. of RL 25, at muzzle, well over 3300 fps, I shot a muley at 137 yards broadside, bullet did not exit, bullet recovered and it weighted 153 grs. I think that takes care of that matter, also diameter of bullet was an impressive 1.21. So I think that the proof is in the pudding, Sciroccos are excellent!! I would recommend them!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it did not exit it was a 'failure'. At that range and volicty, it should have exited. What if this had been a big bull elk and you hit the shoulder bone?????? Worse yet, not blood trail in a no snow conditions!!!!!!! I have to much respect for the animals to use any bullets that don't cause a wide DEEP wound channal and exit MOST OF THE TIME.

• Options
    Daddy2B8162Daddy2B8162 Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Nosler fan myself. Here on the plains of South Dakota, I use 165 gr Ballistic Tips on deer ( White Tail and Mullie) and the Partitions on Elk in the hills and across the state line. These have worked excellent for me out of my Browny 300 win mag.