In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SIG-Arms Model P226/P228...Opinions Please

fort_knoxfort_knox Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
I talked to my uncle this morning about a new gun purchase he is contemplating. He was thinking Glock, and I suggested he look at a SIG in a P226 or P228.

He intends to carry it so I was thinking the P228 would be better since it is smaller. I read some criticism regarding the bore elevation on the P226 being more above the hand than normal and thus being the source of some unpleasant recoil...especially in the .40 S&W and the .357 SIG! Is this to be expected with the more compact version of the P226 as well?

Also, any opinions/criticisms regarding the P228? Any suggestion regarding a good caliber selection for the P228 would be appreciated as well? He seems to be interested in the .357 SIG.

I looked at one at a shop a few weeks ago and was smitten with it. I liked the way it felt, the exposed hammer...single-action and de-cocking ability that goes with that design.

Comments

• Options
    kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i carry the p226 40sw for duty and off duty...to me i have no problems on concealed carry with it other than..the weight is just a bit beefier..but then again i will take on the weight with no regrets knowing how reliable it is...one your use to it...it really isnt bad

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I carry the P229 in .40.

Some of my companions carry the P226.

They are the same gun, only the 229 is trimmed a bit in length and height.

The P228 only comes in 9mm.

Bore height above grip is the same for all three.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I carry the P229 in .40.

Some of my companions carry the P226.

They are the same gun, only the 229 is trimmed a bit in length and height.

The P228 only comes in 9mm.

Bore height above grip is the same for all three.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    coffinhandlercoffinhandler Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as caliber selection on the 228 goes, it only comes in 9mm. To get a 40 or 357 Sig you must get a 226, 229, 239, or Sig Pro. I personally own 4 Sigs. In my humble opinion the 229 in 357 Sig is my favorite. It has the best trigger of all, just slightly better than the 225, but much better than my 226. The 228 is an extremely comfortable gun to shoot also. I have yet to handle a 239, but I have talked to many people that highly recommend them for carrying. You might want to handle a 239 available in 40 and 357 sig. You can also buy an extra barrel and swap them, thus having two guns in one.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I had the same concerns the first time I handled a SIG. It sits taller in the hand than what I was used to and I expected it to give a stronger torquing. However, once I actually fired a SIG I was surprised at their recoil characteristics.

This pistol recoils more straight to the rear, with less muzzle flip than any design I've seen. When SIG pistols first started to show up in numbers on LEO firing ranges I began to notice something. As I watched down a firing line on the range, where shooters were side by side and firing various types of pistols of the same caliber, I could see a dramatic difference in muzzle rise from the SIG.

This wasn't just a matter of particular shooters having stronger wrists or a firmer grip. During some advanced classes I've had the shooters rotate their pistols among themselves in order to expose them to different types and this lower muzzle rise pattern remains.

I'm not exactly sure what to attribute their recoil characteristics to. Ergonomically they aren't that much different from others out there, but they do have a couple of differences in their construction. SIG pistols have full length rails on their frames, where most others only support the rear half of the slide. They also have the heavy twisted wire recoil springs. I'm not sure how they rate against other pistols when it comes to the amount of time the barrel/slide remain locked after igition.

Whether it's due to one of these differences or a combination, SIG pistols have a much different recoil than you'd expect when first handling them. Take one out and shoot it, then watch as people shoot it alongside others. It's noticeably different.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    navy seals carry sig 226's in 9. im sold.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.