In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best 1991 Deal around $1000

BabalooieBabalooie Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any suggestions, give or take a couple of hundred?
I'm thinking Colt or Springfield - buy new and have it modified?
Buy one of the ones with fancy names (Like TRP, TGO,Gunsite, etc.) or perhaps taking a used Norinco that I have and giving it a makeover.
On the other hand, I could take my new, unfired Colt O1991 and have it redone. Is there any benefit to sending it one of the famous companies, like Gunsite, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat? How about sending it to Colt or Springfield, overpriced or a good deal? Some of their packages look pricey, but ...Is one better than another, or would I be paying for a name and logo?

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger."
- Friedrich Nietsche
"Only the strong survive."
- Jerry Butler

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Babalooie
    Any suggestions, give or take a couple of hundred?
    I'm thinking Colt or Springfield - buy new and have it modified?
    Buy one of the ones with fancy names (Like TRP, TGO,Gunsite, etc.) or perhaps taking a used Norinco that I have and giving it a makeover.
    On the other hand, I could take my new, unfired Colt O1991 and have it redone. Is there any benefit to sending it one of the famous companies, like Gunsite, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat? How about sending it to Colt or Springfield, overpriced or a good deal? Some of their packages look pricey, but ...Is one better than another, or would I be paying for a name and logo?

- Friedrich Nietsche
    - Jerry Butler

Exactly what do you want a weapon for?

"On the other hand, I could take my new, unfired Colt O1991 and have it redone."

Redone for what? Don't it come ready to shoot out of the box?

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
    You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bells and Whistles. I'm assuming some of them are a waste of time and others are useful. I plan on shooting at paper targets, but expect other uses to come up, like home defense and possibly concealed carry if the state law ever changes.

- Friedrich Nietsche
    - Jerry Butler
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what distance will you place the paper targets? your gun is set to function fine the way its set up now, up to 15yds. unless you plan to compete and put hundreds of dollars on the line in order to win, ANY mod you do is a waste. like it was said, your gun leaves the factory ready to function, and it appears its ready to serve you the way it is. that is unless.....youre out to impress someone with it, in which case, it will have a reverse effect and people might laugh at all the money you wasted for nothing. follow me? so, if your goal is to be a national bulleye champ, we will guide you, if you want to be a ISPC speed shooter, we again will guide you. give us a little more info on where you want to see yourself say...5 years from now with your gun. otherwise, shoot it and enjoy it w/o mods, and pay a local smith to just give you a nice crisp trigger.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Colt "redid" my 1991 Stainless Gov't when I sent it back over an ill-fitting slide release.
    A firearms instructor said he never felt a sweeter trigger on a Colt.
    I don't know how it shot before going back, because I left it NIB.
    But it's doing great right now.

That said, the SA TRP looks GREAT to me.

california_bf_lg_wht.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Honestly, I don't know where I'll be in five years. Got into shooting again, about 6 mos ago after about 25 years of being away from it. This is my current form of release and relaxation. Never had a 1911 before and I found I really like them. Can't stand the plastic jobs. Currently, I go to the range and shoot for 2 or 3 hours, shooting at paper targets at a distance of 30 yards. I like the noise, smell of gunpowder, and don't shoot too bad, either. Don't know if I'll ever compete, and don't want to impress anyone except myself. I see there are all sorts of fancy things that could be done to a 1911 to improve its functionality and perhaps accuracy. Since I'm not competing, an inch or two deficiency in accuracy doesn't mean much to me. On the other hand, I am concerned with reliability.

- Friedrich Nietsche
    - Jerry Butler
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your targets are set up at 30 yds, and youre just shooting recreationally, you bought the wrong gun. hitting black at 30 yds consistantly requires a MATCH quality gun. but, do you really want 2" groups at 50 yds? if its just fun shooting, man....buy a gun already matched from an old match bulleye shooter and save some money! keep your guns for fun shooting and go buy an already built gun. no need to send anything anywhere. trust me on this one. youre spending money for no goal intended. but hey...if you have money to spend and its burning a hole in your pocket, spend away and get a full house bullseye gun. with a good gun, it will take about 3 times a week and a year to get good with it. if you want to shoot ispc, get a full house ispc gun. and again, with a good gun, it will take you about a year to get good and not blaming the gun for misses. btw...any serious gunsmith can do a 45 improvement job. save yourself money and find one, instead of the big guys that have overhead. my gun went together next to my smiths washer and dryer!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds like I'm about where I need to be. Maybe a trigger job on the new piece and I'll be O.K. Thanks for the advice. I don't have money to burn, but since I can't drink cognac anymore, I do have a little spare change I can play with. Thanks, again.

- Friedrich Nietsche
    - Jerry Butler