In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best Cleaning Method=P-220

BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
edited November 2003 in Ask the Experts
One more question on the Sig P-220. What is the "very" best cleaning method for keeping this firearm in tip top condition? I have a tendency to "over lubricate" everything that I clean, and I am fastedious about keeping things clean.
But I also know that too much lube on a semi-auto pistol is not the best way to go.
So what do you experts out there suggest for cleaning and lubing your firearms[?][?][?][?]

Thanks guys,

BigBarn

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"

Comments

• Options
    rusty1rusty1 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO LUBE AT ALL.... THAT IS WHAT CAUSES AUTOS TO JAM.

rusty1
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggeation is to take it down and clean as normal, a small drop of oil on the slide rails and a light coat on the recoil spring and a drop on the hammer and trigger assembly then reassemble., after reassembly rack the slide a couple of times to evenly work the oil.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After each shooting, field strip the weapon. Clean the barrel and the chamber from the rear with gun oil. Never clean the barrel from the muzzle and do not use steel brushes, because they damage the smooth barrel surface. Use the right size rod. Coat the barrel and chamber "sparingly" with a good gun oil. Wipe all external metal surfaces with a piece of cloth that has gun oil on it. Sparingly is the key, if you can see it running, there is TOO much oil. I use a hypodermic needle, with oil in it, to get into the hard to reach areas. You can dispense very small quantities of oil with it. Just make sure you do not go poking the gun. LOL

I do not know why they say to clean the barrel from the rear, and not from the front. SIG makes that statement in the owners manual, so I have stuck to it.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking cleaning from the breech end is a good idea, its not possible with rifles like the M-1 Garand & Carbine, M1A etc, as well as revolvers.

The reason is if you use a steel rod going in through the muzzle you can damage the metal by sliding the steel rod against the rifling near the "crown" or muzzle. This can be harmful to accuracy.

I clean my handguns with aluminum rods and bronze metal brushes. The plastic brushes, that are furnished with many new guns,just do not do a good job. Since aluminum rods are softer than steel, it will not harm the bore.

As far as the P220, I clean the bore and feed ramp. put some solvent on a rag and, with a finger, wipe down the rails. Q-tips are great for cleaning guns. A little solvent on the tip and you can reach very small places to remove grit.

For lubricating, I put a couple drops of breakfree on the rails, then smooth it out with a finger. The area on the barrel where you see visible wear is from the barrel rubbing against the opening in the front of the slide. A drop or 2 of lube on a finger and rub on those areas.

As mentioned above, DONT OVER-LUBE, and dont lube your magazines.

Happy cleaning