In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine Malfunction

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
i have a universal m1 carbine that stove pipes the spent brass almost every shot.. i have tried different ammo i keeps doing the same thing..any advice on a possible solution??

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Shooting an original Winchester M1 carbine but after 7 rounds, it ceased to fire. Examined the primers of the rounds that did not go off, and they had only a very light--just a touch--of mark where the firing pin hit. The firing pin "seems" to be okay (but I have not taken the bolt apart). Have ordered another pin but could there be another problem that I'm missing?

"'To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime.'
    Nuremburg Tribunal, 1946"
    It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Hairy,
    As long as the hammer is falling correctly and the bolt is in battery, the only other option is foreign matter in the bolt or a broken pin.

Need to strip and clean the bolt.

...honor is important only when dealng with honorable men.
    You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and therefore, I suspect all who claim to have THE truth. L'Amour
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hairy, I'd try to borrow another carbine & temporarily "swap out" the trigger group & bolt to see if you can pin down the problem to one of those.

If the problem is in the bolt, I suggest that you pay a professional to look at it. It is difficult to re-assemble without a special tool.

Neal
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    What ammo are you using? Some of the ex-combloc ammo will have "hard" primers.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hairy... As already mentioned, it could be a broken firing pin.

Another cause may be the ammo. If you are shooting reloaded ammo, the cases may be too long. When resizing carbine brass it stretches slightly, and if not trimmed to proper length it will cause the bolt to not quite close all the way into battery. When this happens, it will many times cause a light strike on the primer. Since this round headspaces on the front edge of the case this is very critical.

If you are shooting new factory ammo, then I would guess its the firing pin.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with my Inland once. I had loaded the ammo to the correct OAL, but the shoulder of the bullet had a steeper angle and contacted the rifling to soon. It looked as though the bolt was in battery, but wasn't quite. Mark a couple bullets with a magic marker and see if the ink is disturbed when cycled through the action.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, guys, for the valuable info. Since I don't have any spare parts for the carbine, I ordered them and they are enroute.

The ammo was purchased recently (not old stock).

As I mentioned, the first 7 rounds have a centered, sufficient hit on the primer; the next 3 have only a slight mark that let me know the pin hit--but VERY lightly. I suspect it is the firing pin but will find out.

Thanks again.

"To put blind faith in government is as stupid as putting blind faith in what a used-car salesman tells you. It is also un-American. In our great country, sovereignty rests with the people, and the proper attitude of a citizen toward government at all levels is courteous skepticism. Elected officials and bureaucrats are your servants, not your masters." --Charley Reese