In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington 710 or 700

UPINARMSUPINARMS Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am looking into buying a hunting rifle. Which is more dependable and more accurate. The Remington 710 or 700. Please help. The 710 is on sale right now for 349.99 it seems like a great deal.

Improvise Adapt and Overcome

Comments

• Options
    ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    I personaly like the 700. It is all up to the buyer.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some shops around here that won't accept trades on the cheap 710, but they look forward to 700's.
    I'd personally take a used 700 over a new 710. If you want an inexpensive rifle, I'd personally take the Howa...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy a 700. You will be happier in the long run.

"Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard some bad revues on the 710. The 700 ADL doesnt cost all that much more and you will have a rifle that will last you a life time.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No Contest, the 700. The 710 was essentially built to compete with the Walmart "specials."

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    700,hands down.
    You won't regret it.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 710's are being discontinued! Does that tell you something? Long live the M700.[^][^]
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Why do you think you're stuck with only considering a Remington?
    If I were looking for ruggedness, beauty, price and reliability I'd pick a Ruger.

I only use Remingtons for shooting cans, targets, etc. I'll never take one hunting where I may need a quick second shot. I've seen 2 that had the extractor ripped out when a empty round got stuck,- only slightly at that.
    Remington can't even supply the extractors for them.

Remington screwed up when they stopped making the model 30's and 720's. A-Square made their dangerous game rifles on them and the 1917 and P-14 Enfields,- the same action. Strong enough and reliable enough for the .460 Weatherby and bigger and still great for rounds like .257 Roberts.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 710 is pure junk , DO NOT BUY ONE !
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a good rifle, buy the 700. Everything I've ever read about the 710 was disappointing.
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 710 for less than a month. about 6 days after i bought it the mag catch broke and i had to send in the whole rifle because it was a "restricted part" I would just save up for a 700 or if you dont want to spend a lot, maybe look at a savage. I think they have those same package deals with a scope for about the same as a 710.

jake