In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My son is out of Afganistan!! 45 ACP loads

GunHawkeGunHawke Member Posts: 576 ✭✭✭
edited December 2003 in Ask the Experts
[:D]
Hello, and, as always, thanks ahead of time for your responses.....

My son, James Jr. is leaving Kandahar, Afganistan after 2-tours!!!! I couldn't be happier!! All my best to any who have sons and daughters in harms way!!!!

If you listen to Colonel Cooper there is no better gun than the 1911 45ACP. If this is so....what's the best load for a CCW 45? I have tried several and some don't feed so well. Is ball ammo unworthy? I used R&P hollow point with success....but I want total reliance. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim Michaels
GunHawke

"They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull a trigger. I won't!" J.B. Books

Comments

• Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't really help you with the ammo question, just gald to hear your son's home safely.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Use BALL....No Jams....Plain reliability..and anyone you hit with a Ball Round will stay down...I've had First Hand experiance..Up Front and Personal!...Not Brag...! Just Fact!...

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear that your 2-tour American Hero is headed back to friendlier climes! They all deserve to come back in one piece, and knowing they did their part for a better place to live!

As to your 1911 feeding certain types of factory ammo better than others; that's the only no-gunsmithing answer to 1911 reliability.
    Shoot a variety of loads that will feed, function & eject in YOUR gun, and get what feeds, that you can shoot well, and that performs to your liking.
    Lots of hollowpoints get hung up at the feed ramp/barrel union, and there's not a lot you can do yourself without (possibly) making it worse.
    If you reload, or trust (with your life) someone who does; try to have him load up a dummy case with the bullet styles you'd like to use, and try different overall lengths to see if they'll feed better.
    If that works, and you don't have to go with another style; then calculate the remaining case capacity (use water-it's cheap), and tailor your loading charges accordingly. Just be sure not to get an OAL shorter or much longer than the SAAMI Min/Max figures, or pressure could increase unsafely, or the rounds won't feed through a clip.
    Ball ammo is pretty much 100% reliable for function, and will hurt just as bad as a HP; the trouble is that you may achieve greater penetration than desired, and cause harm to a bystander.

Just try as many different styles as you can find locally, and pick the one that always works.
    Then you can get fancy with exotic choices later.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • Options
    beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GunHawke: I'm glad your son is leaving Afghanistan. Must be a big relief for you. Give him a big hug when you see him!

Bruce
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congratulations, Dad; and THANK YOU, Son for serving. Dad, here's what I bet my life on every couple of days. Master Cartridge Co.'s .45 ACP 185 Gr. JHP+P, which is a nickel-plated case and a Speer Gold Dot bullet. You would most certainly want to make sure that your 1911-type will feed it reliably, and this might involve (1) polishing the pistol's feed ramp, (2) throating the barrel, (installing a slightly stronger, new recoil spring.[^]
  • Options
    drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    Glad to hear your son is returning that's great news!
    I havn't tried them yet but Cor-bon has a HP with a polymer ball in the hollow.http://mysite.elixirlabs.com/index.php?uid=12665&page=1607

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARIVING SAFELY IN ONE PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED PIECE, BUT, TO SKID ACROSS THE LINE BROADSIDE, THOUGHRLY USED UP, WORN OUT, LEAKING OIL, SHOUTING GERONIMO!!"
  • Options
    GUNNER CHRISGUNNER CHRIS Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMEN for your son.AS for the ammo the best 2 ideas i heard number one, ball ammo is great for knockdown power ,number 2 when it comes to a 1911 always make sure your recoil spring fits your ammo. that is something the average shooter doesnt think about.[:D]

LET MY BIG 50 DO THE TALKIN FOR ME!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I don't have any special recommendations for your .45, although I use Federal Hydra-Shocks.

What outfit was your Son with? I'm glad he's home in one piece. It was a tremendous relief when my Son got back from there about a year ago. He did one tour and was assigned to a SpecOps unit called TEU - they worked a lot with Delta.

I'm proud for you and for the service your Son has given.

Thank you both.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some Winchester SXT 230gr JHP.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Jim: say Hey to Jimmy when he gets home , I bet his better half will be a happy gal [:D]
    on your ammo question see if you can find some of that new Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket) instead of a conventional lead core with a forward cavity, the EFMJ utilizes a copper jacket over a rubber pellet bonded to a lead core . Expansion occurs when the flat tipped bullet impacts any solid surface, which pushes the rubber pellet flat. Cor Bon has a Pow-R-Ball series which is allong the same lines or so I've read
    take care
    Rich
  • Options
    jripjrip Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank your son for me, for serving our country and protecting and preserving our freedom and way of life. What a Christmas you will have!!

Most modern 1911 semi-autos should feed pretty much anything. Pick an ammo, and buy a bunch, and make sure it works through your gun. I was a cop for almost 9 years, and carried a .45 for about 1/2 of those years. We were issued Federal Hydra Shoks, which I still like. I think the only thing I shot with those were a couple of ground hogs, but they seemed very effective. If you are worried about a feeding jam, try the new Corbon Powerball ammo. It has a round nose profile, but has a round, polymer ball in the nose of the bullet. I haven't tried any myself, but looks very promising. The round nose profile should feed like ball, but when it impacts, it is supposed to send the polymer ball back into the jacket and make it expand like a hollow point.

Good luck, and be safe, and God Bless you and your son and family.