In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

russian m44

johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
ok, the family is asking what i want for my birthday, i want a russian m44 in the wrapper,or is the polish m44 or hungarian m44 any better?they would be for the occasional trip to the range. any and all opinions on these rifles is appreciated. i can obtain one through the father in laws ffl, and has anyone dealt with J+G`s ltd. are they ok?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hi,I was wondering if anyone knows if I could rechamber my M44 to a more popular caliber than 7.62-54r? Any advice you have to offer would help. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can anyone tell me if these guns are any good. i'm looking for a cheap rifle to take through the trees while deer hunting so i dont scratch up my good rifle. what kinda range are they accurate up to. and can you get hunting rounds for them there chambered for the 7.62x54
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can I find parts, accesories and a manual for this rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i bought a russian m44 from a friend for $80. he said he paid $120 at a gun show, but needed the cash, so... since then i've had an offer for $200 and an offer for $400 from another guy for the rifle. i have not fired the rifle, and it appears to be like new, has all matching serial numbers, a hammer and sickle stamp with 1945 below it, working bayonette, pretty much in mint condition as far as i see. i'm obviously a new gun enthusiest and don't know alot about firearms, but i figured this was just a surplus rifle that pretty much anyone could get for $100-$120 bucks. right? or did i stumble upon a rifle worth more? thanks for the help.

-jason
  • Options
    wolfdog45wolfdog45 Member Posts: 584
    edited November -1
    I have 2 M44's and both of them are great rifles. You can get hunting rounds for them and FMJ's. The rounds are pretty cheap but good. The M44 isn't a bench rifle but it is accurate. I would use it at 150 to 200 yards. But if you use it in the woods there are chances that you won't have to shoot as far as 100 yards with all the tree's. The woods I hunt in I only have about 20 yards of good shots till it gets to clusterd with tree's. The woods are thick around my place. I would say go ahead get a M44 they are good guns and the ammo is cheap even the hunting ammo.

Veritas vincit "Truth conquers"
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M44 Mosin Nagant is legendary for being almost peasent proof and it has been known to keep funtioning under some of the worst conditions. The cartridge is rated somewhere between the .308win and the 30-06 in abilities. Yes, decent quality hunting rounds are available. You may have to mail order for them as you local sporting good store may not carry them. The big drawback to the rifle, as a hunting tool, is that it is basically an iron sights only rifle. Yes, you can mount a scope on them, but not well or easily. Personally I'd opt for the Yugo M48 rifle in 8mm. They are going for about twice the price, but most of the ones I've seen looked to be almost "new". Getting a scope onto a Mauser, if you ever want one, can be easily done by any decent gunsmith. The 8mmMauser cartridge is available in surplus almost as cheap as the 7.62x54R. Either way you go you should have fun.
  • Options
    tmault5tmault5 Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    would recomend a mosin for your short range hunting But maybe consider the M38 instead, its the same rifle minus the bayonet and the accuracy may just suprise you . i own no less than 15 mosin rifles of different makes and models and all shoot very well a 38 or 44 with a good bore should shoot 2-4 in at 100m with open sights some maybe less i had one really beat up 44 that would do little over 1in at 100 with ammo it liked and to scope them really is not that big of a deal they sell the mount and new bolt handle as a kit for about 40-50$ that you or a smith can easily do for a rifle under 100 bucks you cant beat them
  • Options
    knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M38 and M44 may be good enough for what you are wanting to use it for, however from what I have read the M44 will not shoot as well with the bayonet not exteded. Also they are carbines, so if your wanting a rifle go with the Mosin 91/30. These can be had at www.aimserplus.com for $70, not including tax, shipping, and FLL dealer's handing price. So lets just say about $100 give or take a few. Also putting a scope is not as hard as some may think. According to www.surplusrifle.com a rifle scope can be installed using the back sight as a mount for around $74 not including scope. Also it will need to be a "Long Eye Relief (LER)" scope because it is using the back iron sight. The pluses of doing this is it is a lot cheaper than doing a trational mount and the bolt will not need to be replaced with a bent one. Here are some pictures of the scope on the rifle and the rifle its self.
    25.jpgmosin9130spec.gifThe scope can be mounted on the M44 and M38 if this is the route you wish to take. Hope this helps.
    Knightrider
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are also available.

Side-mounted, slide on, POSP Russian scope with 8x42 optics.

This is by no means a refined firearm, but it is reliable and reasonably accurate.

Mosin_Nagant.jpg

POSP_Scope.jpg

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the M-44 is a nice @$$ weapon,.i got mine for about 110,..how ever if you just want a good beater rifle that packs a punch and is small enough not to be a pain in the @$$,.you may want to look for a M-38,(90 bucks at a gun show) mine will hit what i aim it (paper plate) at out to 200m,. and if you dont hit the deer with the 7.62x54r round,..the little carbines report will give the deer a heart attack.

theres alot of rounds available,.wolf 200gr soft point will probally be the easist to find,.if you can look for the brown/silver/gold bear hunting ammo,.its 203gr soft point hunting ammo that comes in a box of 20 for about 4-5 bucks or less

M-38 or M-44,..invest in good ear plugs and a butt pad if you plan on putting alot of rounds thru it at once.

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • Options
    rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the M38. The M44 and 91/30 were both designed to use with the bayonet extended(M44) or attached(91/30).The M38 was designed without a bayonet. My M44s go from a 5-6 in group to a 2-3in group with the bayonet extended.(100yds,open sights) My M38 will shoot 2-3in without it.Some states have laws against hunting with a bayonet equipped rifle.

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg
  • Options
    M44M44 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The M44s are the best Mosins in my opinion. The Russians are very good rifles, but many postwar rifles are equal, sometimes better. The Polish M44s are especially accurate. Ammo, as said in other posts, is cheap. Although the bayonet can be bad for accuracy, it is easily removed.

The Mosin Nagant Rifle
    http://www.MNrifle.tk
  • Options
    WillRussWillRuss Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only model of Mosin Nagant that hasn't been mentioned yet is the 91/59. It was the last of the MN line, and some say the best. I installed a BKL mount on mine with a Leupold 2x LER pistol scope. No permanent modifications to the rifle were required. Simply remove the rear sight by punching out the two retaining pins, then install the mount on the built-in dove tail. This mount works on the 91/30 or 91/59, and can be returned to the original configuration in about 10 minutes.

The mount is available at Brownells as the "253 Unitized Dovetail Mount". With the C&R FFL discount, it's $22.50. I've run approximately 600 rounds through my 91/59 since installing the scout scope, and the mount hasn't budged - it is still a tack driver.

The 91/59 rifles are available at http://www.allans-armory.com for around $125.

I paid $100 for mine a couple years ago...
    Russ9159B1.jpg