In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

install muzzle break on barrel?

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
can u install a muzzle break on any barrel? im ordering a 300 win mag barrel and was thinking about puttin a break on it so me shoulder doesnt fall off, is this possible? how much will it cost? thanks

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. - Don Corleone

Comments

• Options
    BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    No problem. Should be around $125. installed.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Break: Busted, no longer operational, broken
    Brake: Stop, slow down

Now, the 300Winnie isn't a hard kicker, espacily if the stock fits properly.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    lowelclowelc Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Muzzle breaks do reduce felt recoil but to the extreme expense of muzzle blast and noise. I agree with Tailgunner1954, the recoil from a 300 Win is not bad but moreover, proper stock fit is the key.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Tailgunner and lowelc on this one, a 300 mag doesn't usually kick bad enough to need a brake, make sure the stock fits well and don't sit down and shoot a couple boxes of shells at a time and you should be fine.
    I've said this many times before on this topic but I'm against muzzle brakes for the shear fact that they hurt your ears when shooting in a hunting situation. I have a .338 Win Mag and loved shooting it from the bench with the BOSS muzzle brake on it, removed the "brake" after one shot in the field that made my ears feel like they were gonna bleed. Also out west and in Alaska lots of guides are frowning on customers using muzzle brakes. Don't believe me? just ask a guide or two and look on the Alaska Dept of Fish and Wildlife website same thing is referenced there. Guides keep getting their ears rung by clients with brakes on their hunting rifles.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats why they make POWER MUFFS...There is nutten wrong with puting a brake on his 300.Or you could have it magna ported
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i think that if a MAN needs a muzzle brake ... then the MAN needs a rifle he can handle
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David Gentry in Montana makes a quiet muzzle break. It increses the decibles between 1-2 to the shooter with a 300 win mag. Keep in mind your friends won't like it but if you hunt alone it would be the way to go. Don't worry what others think, if you want less recoil, get one. I know bullriders that would call these macho guys sissies for not riding bulls. I call them sensible for not riding bulls.[;)]

Mad Dog
  • Options
    abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think if you want one , do it ... and you all really need to learn how to SPELL !!!
    d.a.stearns
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
    If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh I agree with ABC if you really want a brake get one but look at my previous post and lowelc and tailgunner's posts there is a price to pay, extreme muzzle blast and an ear piercing report. Somehow wearing "Power Muffs" doesn't sound so appealing while you are wandering around Alaska's backcountry or high in the Rockies, does it?
    Kinda like taking a shower with a raincoat on if you ask me. I'd get the gun and shoot it awhile first and see what you think, then decide if it needs a brake on it, then I would shoot someone elses gun with a brake on it as you would in a hunting situation, that way you can make your own informed decision.
    [;)]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why doesn't sound appealing[?] I use electronic muffs all the time. You can hear anything..If I was in Alaska I'd sure would like to hear if a big brown bear was comeing.
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 not such a big kicker but I think thats an issue of rifle weight as well....I shoot a .300wsm in a 6lb rifle.....controllable....but not something you want to sit on a bench all day with...try it first

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!
  • Options
    lowelclowelc Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My personal favorite is my custom built 340 Weatherby Mag. I built it a bit heavier than the standard (if there is such a thing) sporting rifle and I made sure that I built the stock to fit me. I can comfortably sit at the range and shoot my 340 in excess of 40 rounds without feeling like I was hit by a truck. In my opinion, proper stock fit is far more important than trying to reduce recoil with an ear splitter (muzzle break).