In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 1894 CP

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I saw this 98% condition .357 mag lever gun for sale today. It's a model 1894CP with a 16" ported barrel. Really a nice gun, it looks almost new. Why is the barrel ported? I can understand that in a .450 Marlin, but not in a .357! I think I can buy it for around $275. Is it worth buying at that price? The only thing I can think to use it for is plinking and home defense. It holds 9 rounds. Could it be used for cowboy events? Will it shoot .38 special wadcutter loads? Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Marlin made these when they where making the Guide series I have one in 44mag , fun little gun to have , I don't know if it would be ok for cowboy shooting or not , i believe most of the rifle stages need 10 rounds , and the by standers may not like the loud report from the ported barrel , home defense sure it would work just fine , but so would a regular 1894 C with the 18 1/2" non ported barrel

if you don't buy it let me know as i would like to have one to go with my 44 mag , if that would be posssible
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1894 CP is a fine Cowboy Gun and I've sold many just for that. My dealer price on a new one is $345 plus $15 shipping, so $360 puts you in a new one, with no markup. Markup puts you at about $400. I'd definately give $275 for a excellent used condition. Offer $250 and if it's not what you want sell it on GB for $300 easily. That 16 1/2" barrel is wonderful, and shooting is loads of fun. I've got one new one left. If you want it let me know and I'll set up an auction on GB for you, at dealer price plus auction fees; $372