In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hollow tip with a blue ball?

ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I picked these two up a bit ago and have been wondering about the bullet tip. It appears that they are plastic or a bonded material. The bullets look like odd hollow points, kinda like flower pedals. They both are headstamped RP +P .45 Auto and 9mm Luger respectively. I looked on the Remington ammo sight and found no such animals. Traditionally blue can mean tracer in some military terms but thats not the case here. Any ideals what these are?

blue.jpg

blue2.jpg

Stay Alert! Stay Alive. Good luck out there.

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These are polymer ball tipped Powerball brand ammo.....I think thats a proprietary brand made by the aforementioned using reclaimed brass. THey are intended to act the same way a hollowpoint does, with the added benefit that the polymer ball forces the jacket/bullet material apart the way the hollowpont would, but does not get plugged up by foreign matter the way hollowpoints sometimes do. When this occurs, a hollowpoint turns into something more like an FMJ bullet, i.e., no expansion. Intended to be a failsafe type hollowpoint replacement. Still being sold I believe.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pow-R-Ball by Corbon was what I was thinking but they are not blue and the RP headstamp threw my off the scent trail. I guess they could be reloads. Guess they could be knock off's loaded in Remington Brass. Oh well, just wondering. Thanks

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a bunch of Blue Tip 38 Special Ammo years ago. It was put out by a outfit called Glaser Safety Slugs. What it was, just copper/brass? bullet jackets full of birdshot. All the plastic did was to keep the birdshot in place. It's velocity was higher then conventional 38 Special Ammo. Supposedly? it ruptured apon hitting flesh and created a shotshell type devastating wound. That was the theory anyway? It was quite expensive ammo, something like $2 a round.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. Glaser huh? Went to the web sight and learned a bit more tonight. Thanks for the information. Not sure that I'd pick it for a CCW load, but it will be considered in the future for other concerns.

• Options
    CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, looks like the old Safety Slug to me. I know that years ago there was talk about the bullet opening on heavy clothing but I had heard that this was addressed. Could be wrong.

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glaser Safety Slugs. They will not penetrate. For self defense load every other round with safety slug and then hard ball. Jim

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    SpazSpaz Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They appear to definity be the Glasser Safety Slugs..

I believe the ones with the blue tip mean that they are filled with a bunch of tiny little pellets. This would be for minimal penetration, but would cause one hell of an infection, if left untreated.

The ones with the gray tip, on the other hand, contain a couple larger "buck shot" like pellets..

I agree, toss a couple of these in your clip along with your regular self defence ammo.. Just make sure they cycle properly first.

"A clean gun is a happy gun" Spaz
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1KYDSTR
    These are polymer ball tipped Powerball brand ammo.....I think thats a proprietary brand made by the aforementioned using reclaimed brass. THey are intended to act the same way a hollowpoint does, with the added benefit that the polymer ball forces the jacket/bullet material apart the way the hollowpont would, but does not get plugged up by foreign matter the way hollowpoints sometimes do. When this occurs, a hollowpoint turns into something more like an FMJ bullet, i.e., no expansion. Intended to be a failsafe type hollowpoint replacement. Still being sold I believe.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
    "When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
    "History is written by winners"(Patton)
    "You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
    "There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)

I think the real selling point for the Corbon Power Ball round is that it will work like a FMJ in 1911's. I find my Kimber just doesn't feed 230grn Corbons at all. The power ball would be the way to go.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all. Glaser huh? Went to the web sight and learned a bit more tonight. Thanks for the information. Not sure that I'd pick it for a CCW load, but it will be considered in the future for other concerns.

Glaser it probably the best round you could carry for a human animal, do not let the name fool you, it is called a safety slug due to the fact it will not over penetrate walls or will not ricochet due to total energy transfer upon impact, autopsy's have shown when a perp is shot center mass it appears to look like a small hole someone stuck a shotgun in and pulled the trigger, and no one has ever survived a center mass shot with a glaser safety slug

Look at the specs
    .32 acp 1200 fps 176 ft#'s energy
    .380acp 1350 fps 283 ft#'s energy
    .38 special 1650fps 484 ft #'s energy
    .45 acp 1350fps 587 ft#'s energy

draw back, they are expensive must be replaced every few years, or if fluids soak into the blue it will make them brittle
  • Options
    diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have a clip of the Glaser BLUE rounds. They don't do what they say. Supposedly they wont penetrate thru inanimate objects ie. A wall. but they still do anyway.

_bm.jpg God is good. God is great.
    Only God can make a Boatswain's Mate!
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The theory behind "frangible" ammo such as Glaser Saf-T-Slugs is that the bullet will fragment in the target, thus delivering all bullet energy to the target. (A bullet that passes through the target will not transmit a lot of energy to the target.)

"Frangible" bullets are also unlikely to injure innocent bystanders, as they will fragment upon striking any substantial object. This prevents the bullet from going through multiple walls & entering the next house/apartment. It also reduces the possibility of ricochets.

Tests on animals have shown that this type ammo is more effective at one-shot kills than any comparable solid bullets on the market. However, no LEA in the US (to my knowledge) permits their use, & stories about their use by civilians are rare.

Neal
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glaser even made them in rifle calibers. I shot a coyote with a 308 at about 40 yards and nearly cut it in half. I keep them in my 38 snubnose and my Charter 44 Bulldog. The others are correct about the absence of ricochet, we tested them at the range and found that they break up easily.

F&AM, NRA Life (25 yrs)
    "The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion."
    Edmund Burke (1729-97)