In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Illegal thompson?

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a thompson conteder with a full stock and a pistol barrel. the barrel had a thompson contender extension but when I shot it it came off (epoxy?). Now I have an Illegal thompson. I have removed the stock to make it legal, but how should I attach the extension without ruining the bbl.? can I use a screw?

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    The extension on the barrel, if you are going to put a shoulder stock on it, should be permenantly attached to the barrel to bring it up to the 16" bbl length limit. i.e. welded on, but I am not sure since you are turning a pistol into a rifle if it can be done on your contender.....perhaps somebody with more knowledge of the law can help me out here.

edited November -1
    Well first off it is NOT aginst FEDERAL law to turn a pistol in to a rifle. I am not sure the wording on the contenders but they fall under a special exemption because the type of firearm they are. There was a big topic about it on here about 8 months ago. To be legal length by adding extensions they have to be permenantly attached. As far as I know to make a legal it either has to be welded or threaded and pined.

John
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    if its a factory extension send it back to T/C , they will fix it for you , if its a aftermarket take it to a good smith and have it pinned , or just buy a longer barrel and sale that one
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Sell the barrel? this combo is cutting holes. what will happen if I leave it short? The t/c extension is selling for big bucks
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well basicaly haveing an UNREGISTERED NFA firearm, what you have if I understand correctly would be a SBR (short bbl rifle) = NFA, it a small Felony with a tag of $250,000 and 10 years in prison. Not to mention all the bad stuff that goes with a felony including loss of firearms rights.

John
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    in the case of a t/c barrel its only consider a rifle barrel if its put on the receiver with a Butt stock , so if its less than 16 1/4" long and you want to sell it, sale it as a pistol barrel

if you want to keep it be it rreally shoots nice then just get it fixed , either by sending it back to t/c or having a good smith do it
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    SHORT HISTORY, T/C TOOK THE ATF TO COURT (ALL THE WAY TO THE SUPREME COURT) AND WON, SO THE T/C CONTENDER IS THE ONLY PISTOL THAT YOU CAN CONVERT FROM A RIFLE TO A PISTOL AND BACK AGAIN LEGALY... HOW EVER, YOU CANN'T PUT A PISTOL BARREL ON THE FRAIM WITH THE BUTT STOCK ATTACHED. SO THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS HAVE THE BARREL EXTENSION REATTACHED PERMANETLY (SOFT SOLDERED/SILVER SOLDERED/ WELDED). IN THE MEAN TIME KEEP THE BUTT STOCK OFF THE FRAME.