In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rifle cartridge website

rjv140rjv140 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I am looking for a website that gives me detailed information about all of the most popular rifle and pistol cartridges such as there history, most effective loads, and appropriate use. I use to get to chuckhawks.com for information like this but I went to the site as of late and they want you to pay for the information. does someone know of a site like this but is free?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reloadbench is the best one, that I'm aware of. Click on this link.

http://www.reloadbench.com/menu1.html

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    rjv140rjv140 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am aware of that one i like it does anyone know about another?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I know this is not what you asked for but IMHO the book CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD is more user friendly then any web site I have found .It has more history and even pictures with spec. etc
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I agree with perryshooter but do you think I should get a new one? Mine is the 1965 edition.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot speak to the loading data in CotW, but there are numerous minor errors in the historical data provided which have been carried over from one edition to another, despite having the correct information provided to the publisher on many occasions. Each new edition adds a few more. For that reason alone, I would be most circumspect about using the reloading data in that book lacking corroboration from another source. As a general reference for identifying common (or not so) cartridges and giving similar information, it is great, but don't take the details as gospel.

This is another site with a great deal of reloading data:
    http://forums.accuratereloading.com/

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rjv140,

All of these are good suggestions and I agree whole-heartedly with Iconoclast and perry shooter regarding COTW. It is a terrific resource but you have to be aware that some of the information is flawed.

I don't know of any comprehensive free websites such as you mention. If only they were available! These things cost a lot of money to open, operate and maintain, so you either charge for the use (C.H.) or you get advertisers to pay for it. Your best bet is to gather the books needed for the references and keep them on your desk like the rest of us do. No, they aren't free but if you want and need the information, you have to ante up. Used book stores can be a big help, at least they have been for me.

Here is a pretty good reference site but again, he charges for the use:

http://ammoguide.com/

Then there is:

http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Be aware that this is a huge site and it will take quite a while to discover where everything is.

peabo - Yes, I think you could use a new one. There have been quite a few cartridges added and each new volume always contains a section on the newest developments. Check out the used book stores for recent printings at greatly reduced prices. I find reloading manuals and a bunch of reference books in our used book stores inexpensively priced.

Best.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yo rjv140, here's another one,it has quite a bit of detail and also A forum----www.reloadersnest.com JIMBO

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker