In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm-08 vs. 308 in the brush

rjv140rjv140 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I currently have a wooden stock 30-06 that is about 30 years old. i am looking to buy a stainless synthetic 308 or possibly a 7mm-08. My 30-06 has no problem shooting through some light brush like the majority of hunting that i do here in PA. I understand the 308 is comparable to the 30-06 but it has less recoil and accepts smaller heads. As for the 7mm -08 i dont know that much about it, but comparing it to the 308 from what i understand it shoots a bit flatter. My main concern since i do hunt in some brush is the 7mm-08 a good cartridge for light brush hunting?

Comments

• Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would stay with the 308 as they have a wider selection of bullets, especially heavy brush busting bullets. not to say the 7mm-08 would be a poor choice, but the 308 will bust brush more along the lines of your 30-06.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • Options
    muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I think of a brush gun, I think of the firearm as being easy to carry and maneuver.....the caliber, I like to think of as being very precise as to thread between branches, vines etc...the 308 or 7mm-o8 are capable of being very precise...I would think get a firearm that suits you very well physically, and either caliber should do fine.....my experience is that limbs twigs etc deflect all projectiles to some degree....but I am far from an expert.....

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!
  • Options
    allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago Shooting Times did an article specifically on this pitting "known brush buster" calibers against "flat shooting, easily deflected". The consensus was it rely didn't matter, short of cannon and howitzer loads, they ALL deflected, tho somewhat to a lesser degree. They used the venerable 30-30, .32 rem and .45-70and others against the "fast" calibers of .308win, .338, and .270 among others. Tho they did break the branches better, they still deflected considerably off target. As mulerider says, find a shorter, easily manuevered rifle rather than a long bean pole. When the thickets get heavy or you have to crawl part part of the way, 4" extra length feels like a gas pipe to get thru the brambles.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I see it the big reason to go with the .308 is that there is so much good quality surplus ammo out there to plink with. Then again the .308 is just about the same as the 30-06 that you already have, and just maybe you want to get something a little different. So the reason to go with the 7mm-08 is that it is a little flater shooting and in a light weight rifle it will be much easier on your shoulder. This may cause you to shoot a little better. As far as good "brush" rifles go, I use a .308 Model 99 Savage lever action, which is an easy carry and I would highly recomend them. If you want a bolt rifle check out the Remington model 7, it is a nice light compact carry and comes in both the calibers you are considering.
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own identical rifles in both 308 amd 7mm-08, in several different models. Both up are to the job of brush hunting if in a small enough packages, and all other things being equal, these two calibers should perform almost equal. If either bullet hits a bush or small limb both will deflect and go off target. I shoot deer and target with the 308 and let the son shoot the same with the 7mm-08. No big difference to me, I'll take either one gladely. But, 308 ammo is much-much-much cheaper for plinking.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are almost the same thing except for ammunition availability. I have a nice light and short Browning a-bolt medalion in 7mm-08 and it is one sweet little rifle to carry. It is also very handy when you are whipping it around while up in a deerstand as well as while walking or crawling. The caliber for the distance you are talking is of no consequence when in the brush.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You do realize, of course, that no caliber (bullet) is immune to deflection from contact with branches, etc.

Sako Fan
  • Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How dense is the brush and what is lkely to be the longest range? For very thick foliage, there are better choices than the .308. If I were going to be hunting thick timber where ranges would likely not exceed 250 or 300 yards, my personal choice would be the Remington 673 Gide gun in .350 Rem mag. That is one of the best Power/weight/recoil/handling combinations I have encountered.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/673.htm

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.