In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.357 for hogs info

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
jamn- Your post on whether the 357 is adequate for hogs got locked before I could respond, but this link might be of interest to you.

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

A hog's anatomy is quite a bit different from a deer. Unless you happen to clip the spine you absolutely have to hit forward of the shoulder for a quick stop. Their heart is actually tucked in behind the front legs. Notice also that their spine dips well below the top of their back up in the neck/shoulder area.

Whether you go for a head or heart/lung shot, a reasonably quick stop using a .357 is going to require good placement using a bullet solid enough to punch through some bone.

Lots of wild hogs have been killed with rounds as small as a .22, but even with a .357 it wouldn't be a bad idea to be in an elevated stand. They can have a very bad disposition when wounded.

Comments

• Options
    texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I missed this thread, but I would think a 357 at close enough range would do just fine with the right cartridge for the job. Despite all the stories I have never had a problem with hogs running far if at all. Have not payed attention to the anatomy much other that I learned long ago from bow hunting that a high shot in the shoulder, neck, or behind the shoulder leaves you with an uninjured hog and a gristly arrow. (I bow hunted 5 years before I ever owned a deer rifle) So my rifle shots have always been low in the shoulder area with the wound sometimes fore and aft of that depending on my angle and if I miss a little. On occasion I have had to do a followup shot at close range to put them still, but never had one really run. Dropped one shot in that kill zone with No. 6 shot just last Turkey season. If I spot a hog at the lease while I am doing something else, I often use my ugly truck gun in 223 with a 69 grain sp bullet. Sure I prefer bigger calibers (6.5x55, 375 winchester, or 30-06 usually) if I am specifically after them, but have not had trouble with any caliber down to 223. I think like anything else it is shot placement that matters here.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    john in jaxjohn in jax Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Txs, that is one great, informative sight - - the pictures truly are worth thousands of words.

The one hog I've taken with a .357mag was only about 60 lbs but went right down. It was a long time ago, but I think I used a 158 grain JSP "hotload" a friend made up for me.
  • Options
    Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quite intersting indeed.
    I still prefer the head or neck shot.
    Or in BobbyWinn's words,just behind or below the ear(head shot).
    I have killed a large number of hogs ranging in weight from 30 pounds to over 300 pounds and i have used a 30-06,270,.308..243,and 6mm.
    Every hog i shot to the head or neck drops in it's tracks.
    Anywhere else and they haul * and i have never seen one that i shot to the body leave a blood trail.
    Never.
    Over the July 4th weekend i went to the South Texas ranch i hunt on and used my 600 remington in .243 and killed three.
    One about 60 pounds at a distance of 90 yards.
    I hit that one straight on as it was facing me and had to follow up with a second shot.
    The second was a fast snap shot at about 30 yards away on a sow that weighed around 125 pounds.
    I caught her right behind the shoulder and she ran straight away from me across an open sendero and fell dead about 75 yards from where i shot her.
    Bullet went clean through her and as mentioned before did not leave a blood trail,although since she was running in an open sendero i watched her until she dropped so a blood trail was not important but i was just making a point about their uncanny way of not bleeding from a through and through wound.
    Last one was a big one.
    Crept up on a water tank with a decent wind in my face and he saw me at the same time i saw him.
    He was so heavy that he was quite slow running up the steep bank of the tank and just as he was just about up and out i put one right behind his ear and dropped him like a rock.
    This one was around 225 pounds.
    Worse he slid several feet back down and i had royal Hell getting him out of there as i stupidly left a rope back at camp and i was alone anyway.
    I used standard Winchester 100 grain power points.
    Thanks for showing me the site as i am making it a point to send this to several of my hunting friends.

mike
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Excellent link.

Thanks!

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    jamnjamn Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thank everyone for their insight. I would hate to go out there and endanger my life or my dad's. The few times I have been, I was with friends that also trap them so I have not shot one at a feeder or any great distance. It is good to hear from people that have been there and done that.

Thanks, James