In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm STW

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I just purchased a weatherby mark v accumark chambered in 7mm stw and was wondering if anyone had any input for both factory and handloads they liked. I would also love to hear any performance stories both on game and targets. this is the first time I have owned this calebar and would appreciate any info.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a trade offer fpr my 257 weatherby mag in MK V ultra lightweight. the gun is a 7mm stw winchester model 70 custom sporting sharpshooter. both guns look to be in 98%+ condition. both calibers are not the best suited for hunting in the laurel and brush, but i have never owned the STW and would like to shoot it if nothing else. i know what STW stand for, but id like to hear some more about the gun and cartridge before i go ahead and trade it. thanks

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi,

Im trying to make a 7mm STW if its possible which one of these action will except and a 8mm case?

http://www.charlesdaly.com/HTML/products/firearms/rifles/barreledActions/mauserBarreled.asp#
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone know of any good web sites on the 7mm STW?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can anyone help me I am considering rechambering a model 70XTR
    Winchester in 7mm magnum to a 7mm STW, and I am unsure of whether the twist on this barrel will stabalize the heavier (160-175gr) bullets?
    I have a friend that did this to a Remington 700 and cannot use anything heavier than 140gr bullets or they fly all over the place.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will basicaly be trading one overbore cartridge for another. That being said, it will push heavier bullets faster than the 257wthby. This is just a preference issue more than anything.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep toying with the idear of building a 7mmSTW on a Ruger #1 action. The reason being is that I'd want to build it with at least a 28" barrel. I figure that 28" is a minimum length to be able to utalize all that powder effectively. A 26" barrel would only get very minamal improvment over a 7mmRemMag. Barrels of 28" and longer on a standard bolt style action end up with a rifle that is very unwieldly for practical field use. The reason that I'm more interested in the STW rather then the RUM is that STW brass is available from many sources, where the RUM is stll pretty much limited to Remington production.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The STW would give you bigger pills to throw and a good variety of factory ammo. I would have taken it over my 7mm Ultra but they were out of it when I got my Sako 75. To me it is a great cartridge and everybody that I know who has had one, loved it. If the quality of the guns are equal to you, then I would do it. I would tend to think your MK V would be a better rifle though, just not as good a caliber.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have decided to keep the .257 weatherby and sell it. i think i am going to go back to the old 270. thanks for the input

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.