In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To crimp or not to crimp

dallas.comdallas.com Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I'll be interested to know your opinions on using a crimp on different reloads.
I usually use bullets with no cannelure so I never use a crimp.

Comments

• Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the gun and caliber a lot.A lot of single shot buffalo gunners don't crimp,but guys shooting revolvers ,or rifles with mag tubes ,crimp to be sure the bullets dont move in or out under recoil.Also depends on the bullet/brass being used.If neck tension is good and solid then don't crimp,but if the bullet moves ya just about have to crimp to hold it in place.
    The short answer is that I always crimp.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    edited November -1
    can you use a crimp on a bullet with no cannelure?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    In a word-YES- but they were not designed for it.
    What are you shooting that needs a possible crimp?

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a taper crimp on bullets without a cannelure. Redding makes them for many different calibers. Using a roll crimp on them never worked well for me.

danski
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mostly 223, 308 and 44mag
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dallas

When i load the 30 cal 168gr bthp national match bullet i use the redding taper crimp die for my semi auto's. I was having a problem with the bullets getting set back when they would hit the feed ramp if i did not put a crimp on them. No cannelure on those bullets. I belive this crimp gave me better accuracy also. Use it on my 45acp also.

danski
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the Lee Factory crimp die came out years ago.They (Lee) advertised it in all the magazines as being a great aid to accuracy.If you remember ,some other mfgs. spent big bucks in negative ads. against it.At the time I was working with developing loads for some 25 caliber wildcats. I had several different loads worked up for each and I was keeping a written record of each rifle and load. I bought some of the factory crimp dies and run the already loaded and previously tested rounds through them. Then going back to the range and shooting all the various loads again I found that in every instance , the groups had improved ,some substantially.After this there is no doubt in my mnd that the crimp helps.On bullets without a cannelure it still shrunk the groups. I have since purchased Factory crimp dies for every thing I load , No I dont work for Lee.But I do know their product works.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how do you like to adjust the die for the crimp, the instructions that came with the lee die recommends to lower it to touch the plate and then half a turn more.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee FACtory crimp die is a collet type. when you screw it into the press against the ram you can watch the collet close as you bring the shell holder up against it .Its not possible to over tighten it, I adjust it to close all the way on cannelured bullets , leave it a little looser on bullets without a cannelure. Ive pulled bullets with out a cannelure and examined them after using the Factory crimp die and you can see a tiny ring around them ,it doesnt affect accuracy or performance by what Ive seen.
    Dont confuse the regular bullet seating dies crimp with the Factory Crimp die, The Factory crimp die is a whole nother unit. Lee Deluxe Rifle die sets come with one as 3 die set Or you can buy them individually and you dont have to have Lee loading dies already to use it.
    This is to answer the last posters question
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks that was very helpfull