In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

200gr. JHP .40S&W

jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Do they make this size for reloading? Who? If anyones ever used this, whats your opinion of it for a personal protection round. Right now I'm using Corbon 150gr JHP, but have been researching, and keep seeing the old arguments about heavier is better for PP stopping power. Thanks,

Ben

James Willis

Comments

• Options
    SpazSpaz Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never seen a 40 S&W round heavier than 180gr.

I, personally, would stagger the clip.. One round of a hot 180gr, and one round of a air splitting 135gr.. One after another. This would continue until the clip is full..

You would get the benefits of both a light 45acp and a moderate 357mag. Best of both, frequently argued, worlds.

Look into http://www.buffalobore.com/, they have a Smoking 180gr shell for the 40 S&W.

"A clean gun is a happy gun". Spazzzz
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I load 200's in 40 cal for my para ordnance p-16. It is of a design that allows a longer OAL than most 40's(1.26"). With standard data in a 40 you are pretty much limited to 180's. the limited powder capacity of the 40 keeps you in the 180-165 range. If you want to shoot 200's get a 10mm.

• Options
    edited November -1
    In factory loads 180gr is the biggest I've found. But they do make 200gr bullets for reloads, just cant find one in JHP.

Ben

James Willis
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think 200gr is too heavy. There may be some bullets avialable but they might be for the 10mm. If they did work they would be going to slow to mushroom. Jim

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Richbug, this is where I was getting my info on the 200gr. JHP for the .40S&W
    since I dont know how to post it here I'll just write it :
    www.angelfire.com/art/enchanter/40.html
    Titled: Improving the .40 S&W

James Willis
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, The article is very good and makes good points. But most people still go with the light bullet and high velocity formula. Jim

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Years back I recall some warnings about loading 200 gr bullets in .40 S&W cases. I believe the combo of small case capacity, long bullet and pushing said load to it's extreme limit led to high pressures. Being many of the guns for the .40 already have some problems with varying degrees of unsupported cases the warning may be valid. Apparently slow and heavy in this cartridge was not accepable to shooters. I believe the 200 gr was designed for the 10mm and it's greater case capacity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the input, I think you are right, I'd be asking for trouble with a 200gr. But thats what this forums for, to ask the ones that know, so we dont have to learn the hard way. Well since I have a couple of posts left before getting locked, 150 or 180gr jhp? and whats the most potent factory or reload round ya'll like? Thanks,

James Willis
  • Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 135 and 155 gr. pills were designed for .40 S&W velocities. You can use heavier bullets, but may not get reliable performance since they were disigned for the much higher velocities of the 10mm. 200 gr. is just too big for .40 (the slugs are almost as long as the case). You would be hard pressed to hit 1000 FPS. Even with the 180 gr., the .40 maxes at about 1100 FPS- pretty dismal when one considers the 10mm can achieve 1400 FPS with the same pill. Stick with the lighter slugs that were designed for the cartridge and you will get very satisfactory performance. My .40's have performed very well with Sierra 135 gr. JHP's.

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I "carry" 155gr Winchester Silvertipped hollow's in my 40P and shoot around with any cheap well known FMJ, usually Remington. I've gone through the "Shooters' Bible" and compared the energy numbers from each manufacturer and each type of round. It will tell you what velocity, energy and some other ballistic information for any round (HP, HPBT, FMJ, SP, etc. in any grain) produced by any manufacturer in almost any rifle or pistol caliber. I suggest shelling out $20-$25 at your local gun shop for the same book. Also I heard (by talk not alot of research) that Corbon ammo is unequaled when it comes to stopping power. I believe "Handgunner" magazine rated the Winchester Silvertipped HP's best out of 6 or 7 different brands including CCI/Speer, Hydrashocks(I rate second), and others.

CZ - 40P 40S&W
    Browning - Hi Power 9mm
    Browning - BuckMark Target
    Marlin - Model 60 .22lr
    CVA - Buckhorn .50cal
    JC Higgins - bolt action 16ga
    Savage - .22lr/.410ga over/under
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.