In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

good scope for .300 win.

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
ide like to hear some suggestions for a long range rifle, 300 win mag. i would like a hi power scope, nothing below 14X, variable, and under $600. thanks

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. - Don Corleone

Comments

• Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupold makes a real fine 4.5-14 power Vari-x III scope with several reticle options, I prefer a standard duplex but I have heard of a lot of long range shooting hunters using the B&C reticle that Leupold offers. I assume you are using the set-up for hunting, if you are target punching I'm sure someone else has a different suggestion. The Leupold I suggested is $580 in Cabela's.
    Have fun, shoot straight.
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupold is great but a little pricy for some of us. I prefer the Nikon brand in the Buckmaster and Monarch series. Some people have had bad experiences with Nikon customer support and warranty work and will not do business with them. I've never experienced any problems and shoot exclusively Nikon Buckmaster (non Mags), Nikon Monarch (Magnums), and Redfield Golden Five Stars (non Mags).

The Redfield Golden Five Stars (most power sizes) are under $200
    The Nikon Buckmaster (most power Sizes) are under $255
    The Nikon Monarch (most power sizes) are under $455

Do your homework and find a scope you want. My primary business is selling firearms, so I sell scopes and accessories for my dealer cost plus inshipping, plus outshipping, plus auction fees. That is, I have no markup on my scopes. Tell me what you want, we agree on the price, and I'll setup a "By Now" auction just for you. Then you'll have your scope with a signigicant markdown. Just a friendly service to GBers.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris signature select with BMD or BPLX reticle 4-16x44
    IOR Valdada 6-24x50 or 4-14x50 (shop around a bit)
    Nikon Monarch 5-16x44

any of these should fill the bill.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have hunted for several years under a slew of conditions, and on two 300 win mags have top end Nikon, they have survived everything and came out topnotch. Good luck on your purchase....

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Leupold VX III 4.5-14 x 50 with AO (Adjustable Objective) on my 300 BAR Safari II with Boss. It is a perfect match in my opinion. Cost of the outfit used was $795 (scope and gun). Check out used guns/scopes for the best value.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • Options
    BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Andy;
    most shooters are just like car buyers, every one of them has a different opinion about which scope if best for what ever situation you will be facing, in what ever hunt you are planing on going on.
    And you will get 10 different opinions on what is best. One of the scopes that I have used for years, and one that is imitated by many brands on the market today, is the Shepard Range Finding Scope. It is ballisticly designed for the caliber gun you are shooting, and is the easiest scope to sight in that I have ever used. It is a little expensive, about six hundred, but is absolutely worth every penny, when it comes to reliability, and ease of use for taking long range shots quickly. At least look at it, in Cabela's magazine, or Natchez's shooting supply also. One of the better made scopes for the money on the market.

JMHO!

BigBarn[:o)]

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"