In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield SAR8 question

mooreguncrazymooreguncrazy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hello,I have Greek made SAR8 and I would like to put an original flashhider on in place of the fake solid one. Is this something I should attempt or is it for pro's only?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never worked on SAR8/HK-91. Those I have worked on, were threaded internally to screw on the male threads on the end of barrel.

Unless your fake flashhider has been pined & silversoldered on, it should be removeable.

Some are torqued on tight. Secure the rifle/barrel correctly so you won't mar or break anything. Use strips of sheet brass made from old cartridge cases to protect the surface of the old flashhider. Hope for the best.

You might consider contacting customer service at Springfield, for guidance. I've called them in the past. They're very accommodating.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    artvlsartvls Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the early SAR8's have a threaded barrel. The "thread protector" is pinned in place, with this type it should be able turn (start to unscrew) a little untill the pin hits the "buldge" on the barrel. I believe that some of the later models where not threaded and the fake flash hidder is pressed on. I assume you know in order to do this legally you must comply with 922r, no more than 10 foreign made parts.
    Dennis