In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Silencers for Air Pistols/Rifles

chowiechowie Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Are in the USA Silencers for Air Pistols/Rifles ti own for anybody,
or is a Permission needed?

Comments

• Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Chowie
    Aren't most air guns pretty silent anyway? I don't believe the BTAF considers air rifles/handguns firearms. Therefore silencers and fully automatic air operated mechanisms would not be covered by the NFA rules/law. So I don't think you would need to pay a transfer tax for a silencer/suppressor designed for a BB gun.

However, if the silencer/suppressor is detachable and adaptable to a firearm you would need to have a registered suppressor, which requires a fully executed and approved Form 4 and payment of a $200 transfer tax payable to the BTAF. It doesn't seem like there is much to gain and for the cost, risk and effort involved .

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Silencers for airguns are illegal if they work and illegal if they dont work. Any device designed to reduce the sound of a gun is illegal. I know someone who got into some trouble over a silencer on his airgun. He got off by testifying that it was a ballistic compensator not a silencer. the purpose of the device was to resist recoil, not reduce sound, even though sound reduction was one of the benefits of the device.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Here is what I found on the ATF website:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a9

(A9) Q. Are Paintball and/or Airgun Sound Suppressers legal? [Back]

A. ?921(a)(24) The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers as defined in 18 U.S.C., Section 921(a)(24). An individual wishing to manufacturer a firearm silencer must receive prior approval from ATF by submitting an ATF Form 1 and paying a $200 making tax.

Man's last hope... The Star Wars Kid.. Jedi Master!

axF69201.gif
  • Options
    drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drewto,
    What an intereting article by Mr. Beeman. Thanks. It makes sense that a moderator for an air gun would be considered a NFA item if it was removable from the air gun. I guess I am wrong about a permanently attached moderator if attached to an air rifle. The coupling of a moderator or silencer to an air gun causes the air gun to be classified as a firearm. Hummmmmm? I still have never heard an air rifle that made much noise.

Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What noise does an air rifle make? Jim

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Numerous paintball silencers tested by the Firearms Technology Branch have been determined to be, by nature of their design and function, firearm silencers ...
    This is insane.
    Since when is an air gun a firearm?
    By that logic, a lawn mower muffler is a silencer subject to BATFags control.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Beeman is almost as loud as a .22lr. Anything propelled at the speed of sound will make a pop.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"
  • Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it makes a "POP" then it is breaking the speed of sound and therefore a silencer (suppressor) will not work. So, what noise does an air pistol make? Jim

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:If it makes a "POP" then it is breaking the speed of sound and therefore a silencer (suppressor) will not work. So, what noise does an air pistol make? Jim

A suppressor will work, a silencer won't.

7_2_120.gif
    "Aim small, Miss small"