In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accuracy of Muzzleloaders

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Hey Dondalinger, that sure is weird about your Remington 700 not shooting sabots accurately. I have 3 of them in my Gun cabinet. My wife shoots one with a 24" barrel, my daughter shoots one with a 20" barrel, and I shoot one with a 26" barrel. With 100 gr. of Triple 7 shooting a 250 gr. Barnes sabot, and a 209 primer setting it off, I can group 1.25" groups all day, with any of the 3 guns above. I think there is another problem somewhere else. I have shot TC maxi-balls out of the same 700. They shot fine, but I didn't like the terminal results. Here's a story you won't believe, but I swear, it's the God's truth. I jumped a 10 point in some weeds, at about 15 yards away. He froze, and I fired, and he disappeared. I walked over to where he was, and what I found was that the maxi-ball hit a rib, didn't even penetrate the skin, but ricocheted. It burned a path up the side of the ribcage, directly up the back of the neck, and then penetrated the back of the skull, where it was obviously dead. That wasn't very impressive terminal performance to me, and needless to say, from that day on, I was sold on sabots, and the Barnes in particular. It may have been a fluke, I don't know, but that's my experience with maxi-balls.