In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope preferences......

rudioredrudiored Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Looking at picking up a Nikon Monarch 3.5x10x50 or a Nikon Buckmasters 3.5x14x44 with a mil-dot.........does anyone have any experience with any of these or opinions......help needed.........[8)][?]

You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails.....

Comments

• Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are both excellent choices. I personally think the Monarch is a step up in quality from the Buckmaster line. Lets see what the others think.
  • Options
    Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Monarch is a definate step up. I had a few different Monarchs and they all peformed very well. I would hesitate to put them on a serious recoil rifle (ultra mags or .338) but other than that I would consider them very good for the money. I compare the optics to a Leupold Vari-X 3.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also had a Monarch 3.5x10-50 and it gathered light really good. I took it out on a full moon and it was hard to tell the difference between it and my german made Swarovski. The big difference was during daylight hours and how well it picked up colors in the trees. The Monarch was nice but looking through the high end scopes are like looking at something with your naked eye, except enhanced and more powerful.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry for replying so many times but it's late and I liek to ramble[:D].

I would suggest looking at a Burris Signature scope also. To me it is the best for the money. It is more durable, has a European design and gathers light really well. Check on ebay, there tends to be good buys on them fairly often.

Mad Dog
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input.....Has anyone had any experience with the Mil-dot ??? I am going to put this on a 300 WSM and mostly 200+ yards shooting......real open country.....

• Options
    muleridermulerider Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have top end Nikons on 2 300 win mags, 1 7mm mag, and 1 30.06. They have never needed a thing, and have been used carried abused and shot for some years....same with a Leupold on a 30.06, and a burris on a 44 mag carbine.....you will not regret spending a bit more for the monarch....good luck on whatever you get...

Don't pick on my mule, and we'll get along just fine!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help.....I bought a Nikon Signature 5.5-16.5 x44.........Hope it is as good as all of you say they are......thanks again.......