In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

California Importation-Mark Christian ?

1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have been missing lately, and don't know if MArk is out there or not, but would hope someone with knowledge of CA. gun laws can help me. I just tried to sell an SVT-40 here on GB and the gentleman who won the auction after getting me his commercial FFL and the Money Order had his FFL advise him the gun is not acceptable by CA standards for assault rifles. It IS on the C&R list and I am very confused as to why this deal got nixed?!?! No pistol grip...thumbhole stock...10 round mag...compensator, not flash supressor. It was made in 1943 for goodness sake! To top it off, as soon as I put it back up for sale with a no CA sales caveat, a ton of people have e-mailed me to say that this is one of the ultimate C&R CA eligible guns and they REALLY want to bid. Any ideas out there? What would you advise? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark doesn't post here any more.

Here is a link to the firearms division of the CA Dept. of Justice.

At the bottom of the page are the e-mail address and phone #. If I were you I would go to the horses mouth, not be taken any internet, Philadelphia lawyers advice.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Could be that the guy had buyer's remorse and just wanted an easy way out of the deal. Just a thought.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    The rifle is not an assault weapon in California.

It is not listed by name in Penal Code Section 12276 and it does not have any of the "evil" features listed in Penal Code 12276.1. Also, since it is over 50 years old, it can be shipped directly to a C&R FFL holder in California. Penal Code section 12078(t)(2) exempts the rifle from the dealer transfer requirements.
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is odd, because I believe I've actually seen them for sale here in Kommiefornia. You say your's doesn't have the flash suppressor? If it doesn't, then I don't see any reason why it can't sell here. If it does have the flash suppressor, then that's probably the reason. EOD Guy is right, it isn't on the list of banned weapons. It certainly is not less than 30 inches long I wouldn't think. Is the barrel threaded at the end so that a flash suppressor or silencer could be attached? That would nix it here in Kommiefornia. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the barrel shroud and the fact that the rifle is "capable" of accepting magazines of more than 10 rounds.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forthhorseman

Is the barrel threaded at the end so that a flash suppressor or silencer could be attached? That would nix it here in Kommiefornia. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the barrel shroud and the fact that the rifle is "capable" of accepting magazines of more than 10 rounds.

A threaded barrel is perfectly legal on a rifle. It's handguns that can't have threaded barrels. Also, it doesn't matter about the magazine potential as long as a magazine over 10 round capacity is not sent with the rifle.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Whats the big GD deal?? you have 2800 FFL holders in CA. if they don't want to Buy --who cares what the freaking law says-take them to court-Right-or don't sell to CA -nuff said[}:)][}:)][}:)][:D]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EOD Guy
    quote:Originally posted by forthhorseman

Is the barrel threaded at the end so that a flash suppressor or silencer could be attached? That would nix it here in Kommiefornia. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the barrel shroud and the fact that the rifle is "capable" of accepting magazines of more than 10 rounds.

A threaded barrel is perfectly legal on a rifle. It's handguns that can't have threaded barrels. Also, it doesn't matter about the magazine potential as long as a magazine over 10 round capacity is not sent with the rifle.

All true, but I have found, especially here in the L.A. area that most FFL dealers are so paranoid, that they won't accept guns that they fear might even come close to having a banned feature.