In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What kind of rifle does this mag fit?

texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
It is larger than 7.62x39.
standard.jpg
standard.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ginmasterginmaster Member Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some measurements and some markings would help.[8D]

Stay Alert! Stay Alive. Good luck out there.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Maybe a .308 Galil mag? I belive they are all double feed and that one lookes like a single feed.

John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, all I have to go by is the picture. I do know it has no markings on it.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks AKish in style and has the AK latching lugs and baseplate.
    My guess is .308 since it appears the magazine was adapted to a mag well designed for a longer cartridge i.e. the 7.62x54 in the Dragunev.
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That mag is for one of the Hungarian FEG SA-2000M AK's. It was imported in 1999-2000. It took a magazine that was specifically made for that model. It starts out wider, but then narrows to a single feed design. The Maadi's and Romanian AK's were also set up as a single feed system, but both of those were a single stack from top to bottom. The FEG was done differently. Even so the Egyptian Maadi single stack and the Romanian single stack did not interchange. When the various manufacturers came up with their single stack designs to get around the 1998 restrictions, they did it independent of one another, so they do not interchange. Of course their previos models interchanged from one to the next across the board in the 7.62X39. That was the USSR's plan, that all of their countries AK's would be interchangable. It was only when the countries started making stuff for the US specifically, that the specs got changed. In this case in the single stack models. Prior to that it was in the .223 models, they didn't interchange from one to another.

Just for reference for those that might think I have the dates confused, the single stack AK's were developed in 1998-1999 after the 1997 executive order that prevented the modified AK's from coming into the country. It was initially a temporary ban that started in fall of 1997 and became permanent in spring 1998. That executive order basically cut off the loopholes from the 1989 ban that had caused there to be thumbhole stock AK's in the first place. The 1997-1998 ban prevented the guns from coming in even if they didn't have: a pistol grip, regular or folding stock, no bayonet lug, no flash hider, etc. The models that had come in since 1990 had had all of those features removed, but still took a regular mag. Even though they came with just a 5rd, they would still take a high cap. The executive order and then later "ban" specifically said that if it is capable of accepting a high cap mag, then it can no longer come into the US even if it doesn't have the other offending features. It wasn't until after the importers figured out the single stack mag concept that they figured out they could put enough US parts into them to allow them to qualify as a US gun and take high cap mags again. That is what we have been seeing since about 1999.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you sir,
    John