In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a Shooting tip

diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
At what distance do you practice self defense shooting at the range.

_bm.jpg God is good. God is great.
Only God can make a Boatswain's Mate!

Comments

• Options
    JAK71454JAK71454 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The standard for police is 21 feet. I think this comes from average shooting distances in real life situations. Jim

Jim Kammerer
  • Options
    johalljohall Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most ranges have a 25 yard pre set distence for that.. if you can hit the targets at 25 yards you should be good.
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    our local range has a 21 foot line,and most shooters use this line to practice.Good range in that they don't force you to use the whole 25 yds.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A typical trip to the range with one of my "House Guns" consists of five different drills at different distances.

Drill 1: Draw and fire from cover at 20-25 yards. 10 rounds
    Drill 2: Draw and fire from cover at 15-20 yards. 10 rounds
    Drill 3: Draw and fire from cover at 10-15 yards. 10 rounds
    Drill 4: Draw and fire from cover at 5-10 yards. 10 rounds
    Drill 5: Draw and fire from 2-10 feet. 20 rounds

I vary the distances so it does not become routine. I generally use two or three targets at some stages to mix it up. I also practice reloading as part of the process and some stages I practice firing and reloading weak hand.

The key is to have fun and sharpen your skills.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    DutchGDutchG Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    7 yards is standard, but mix it up like the fellow suggested above. Murphy's Law and all of that. Take a good course, typically a concealed carry course, and you'll learn a lot of good drills.
    I'm still trying to figure out why God gave me one good hand and one that doesn't work worth a d*mn!

Good shooting:)
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Household standard would have to be 21ft or 7yds. William does have a good strategy though.

CZ - 40P 40S&W
    Browning - Hi Power 9mm
    Browning - BuckMark Target
    Marlin - Model 60 .22lr
    CVA - Buckhorn .50cal
    JC Higgins - bolt action 16ga
    Savage - .22lr/.410ga over/under
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    diznuffdiznuff Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yeah i like the shooting from cover idea. My local USMC range has a nice set-up with blinders and such in the stalls.

_bm.jpg God is good. God is great.
    Only God can make a Boatswain's Mate!
  • Options
    BigBarnBigBarn Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Diznuff;
    I have a concealed carry permit, that I have to renew every year, and that is done at the Sheriff Department Range, and is governed by the Sheriff Dept. we go thru four hours of class time, and then shoot about four hundred rounds at the range. Typically we start at the ten yard line, and shoot thirty rounds for qualifying at that range, then we move back to the twenty yard line, and shoot again, and finally to the thirty yard line for the final shoot.
    The idea being, most encounters are at a very close range, of five yards or closer, but you need to know what a thirty yard distance looks like also, and be prepared to shoot at that distance, if the need ever arises.
    Better safe, and knowledgeable in all varying distances that you might encounter, than sorry that you didn't take the time to be proficient in all areas of engagement. The more yardage shooting you can get under your belt, the better off you will be.

Good Luck!

BigBarn[:o)]

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Look at 'real life' distances and situations you'll most probably be in if the need ever arises where you must use deadly force for self defense.

1. In or around your car.
    2. In your home.
    3. Inside a store or restaurant.

Those distances are measured in FEET, people, not YARDS! The length of your car, largest room in your house, standing in line at the local convenience store, etc.

I retired after 30 years as an LEO last year. I NEVER worked a homicide, either murder or justifiable homicide, where the distance would be measured in YARDS. All were very close. Some could be measured in INCHES.

Close and personal is where it happens, not long range where you have time to get behind cover and get ready to return fire.

Our training division recognized this and changed some of our training techniques. One course of fire starts 'nose to target.' That's right, your nose is touching the target. On command, you push off with your weak hand while drawing and firing with your strong hand.

Our regular, state approved course runs like this:

3 yard line: 10 rounds
    7 yard line: 10 rounds
    15 yard line: 12 rounds
    25 yard line: 18 rounds

At 9 feet, or less, you better be FAST. No time for sights, extending your arm, no time for a Weaver or any other 2 handed grip. Just draw, and fire as soon as your muzzle clears the holster!

WW2Guns005.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5 to 7 yds is fine.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, former navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction. NRA certified instructor.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.