In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

3 screw Blackhawk in .30 carbine

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have an opportunity to buy a caliber 30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk(3 screw) in almost like new condition in the box for around $325-$350. Is this gun valuable enough to put away for investment or should it be used as a shooter? It has been fired, but the condition is about 99%. The price seems a little high for a shooter but 3-screw's are getting harder to find, so if I buy it I'm leaning toward non-shooting status. What's your opinion on this one?

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Comments

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a buy to me. Should bring with box, $450.00 to $500.00 New models are now around $400.00

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 3 screw in .30 carb. Its a good shooter. Since the one you are considering has been shot, it seems a lost cause to buy it and not use it.

The price is a fair one. I would buy it and take it out and shoot the heck out of it. There is a certain amount of ownership pleasure derived from just owning a gun and looking at it, but much more in shooting it also.

Joe
    "Never let school interfere with your education"
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold one NIB a couple of years ago, & practically had to give it away. Yes, there are some shooters who are enthusiastic about them, but the market is extremely thin. Of the older Rugers, I think that it is the least likely to appreciate.

Neal
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    the blackhawk in 30 carbine is one of the harder guns to sell, but it is a 3 screw in excellent condition , with the box , these will never be made again, the box just by itself is worth $30 or more to the right person . buy it , take good care of it , you will not get rich off of it but you're not going to lose money unless you beat it
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One sold here for 375 w/o box and in about 90% a few months ago. That is a real good price around here if it includes the box. In other sections of the country that may not be the case. I kind of collect 3 screw Rugers and I would pay that for one in that condition w/box. Flatgate over on therugerforum.com in the collectibles section can give you much better info than I. There are some real serious collectors on that site,
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. I bought the Ruger today for $299 plus sales tax. It is a very early model I believe. Serial number is 50-08xx. I have decided to shoot it but you can be sure it will receive excellent care as do all my firearms.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    If my source is correct (and there should have been one more "x" in that serial #),it was made in 1970.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never shot a Blackhawk in .30 Carbine cal. but I have heard that the reason so many are found in fine condition is that they are so loud that they don't get fired very much.
  • Options
    moparmopar Member Posts: 338 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on your revolver purchase.

I shoot my .30 carb New Model Ruger on a fairly regular basis.It does have a pretty good flash & thunder tendency,but just keep your ear protection handy and you'll have a ton o' fun with it.

They are accurate and recoil is not much really,even with standard wood grips.

Enjoy your new Blackhawk!

Doug