In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Whats this pistol ?? picture

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
What is this? does anyone know the value, apparently he doesnt!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35268576

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I believe this is a HOME MADE pistol but the grip design looks FRENCH It is rare but the workman ship looks fairly crude and the seller IMHO has had one to many, with a price like that he should have had 100's of bids.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks homemade by a European who liked the Luger style triggerguard, trigger and grip angle but couldnt work out an extractor/ejector.
    There is a little more work in it than necessary.
    The sidebreak looks like Colt Derringer.
    Styling looks European.
    Value is what traffic will bear.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a family in the firearms business, by the name of Hammond. They were located in New England, ( Connecticut & Rhode Island ) circa late 19th, early 20th Century.

The first patent for a lateral turning barrel carbine dates to the 1860's. The most famous handgun associated with the Hammond's was the Grant Hammond semi-auto pistol made by Harrington & Richardson during the W W I era.

The silhouette, i.e. sideview of the single shot pistol in the auction has a remarkable resemblance to the sideview of the Grant Hammond Automatic Pistol shown on page 424 of Flayderman.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "What I have here today defies description. I can find no book or reference on this pistol. It is a .22 lr single shot side loading pistol. I have taken it to several shows and shown it to several collectors without success. I am going to price this pistol accordingly. The grips look like bake light. One has a small chip. It almost looks hand made. There are no marks on the gun. No proofs etc. Nothing!! Maybe it is a patent pistol, one of a kind? who knows? Collectors please help me on this one!!!! Please correct my description. Email me please!!!!"

Think he means "Bakelite"?

I can think of quite a few better ways to appropriate $5k.[:o)]

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I can think of quite a few better ways to appropriate $5k

Why that's a Jesse James proto type, he may have kept that in his boot
    {Get it all the claims of Jesse's gun}
    I probably would have tossed that long time ago, bakelite is not old enough to make it an 1860's gun , while parts do resemble other firearms I think it is a homemade job not worth the listing fee
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks almost like a copy of a Smith & Wesson Straight Line Target which is also a side loading single shot 22 pistol.

SWStraightline.jpg

Wonder if it's not an H&R, they seemed to copy alot of Smith & Wesson's stuff.

Doing a little digging, there are loads of side opening / loading 22 deringers out there. Wonder if there is anything written under the grips. Also it's possible he came accross some gunsmith in training's gun.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • Options
    stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seen a gun almost like it at the gun show last weekend I dont remember what it was but the guy dident want 5 grand for it I think he wanted $ 200.00 or close to it