In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning BAR Boss System

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I got a call from a brother-in-law tonight wanting to know if I wanted to buy a BAR in 7mm Mag for $500. I was surprised to see how many models are available. I need to see this thing because the amount of engraving (grade #) makes a big difference in value. I read about Boss. Is that a muzzle break?

The Browning name has a great rep. Are these rifles a quality piece?

Thanks guys,

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BOSS is both a muzzle brake and harmonic tuner. You can tune your barrel to the round you shoot rather than hand loading and finding a load that is a harmonic with your barrel. It does not make a lot of difference, in my experience, but it helps a little. I have noticed up to .5 MOA between an adjusted BOSS and one that is mis-adjusted. For a Hunting rifle they are not needed unless you like to brag (like I do) about how small the groups you shoot are.

One thing to keep in mind is the tremendous amount of report a ported rifle has. It is my suggestion, if you plan to hunt with this rifle, that you purchase a Conventional Recoil (CR) for it. You can shoot the ported end at the range and enjoy the soft recoil, and switch to the CR with no change in tuning for field use.

If I had it to do over I would not have bought the BOSS equipped rifle unless it was at a great deal.

As for the quality of a BAR, I have never heard anyone complain about theirs. Personally I only have the A-Bolt.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BOSS is great. It reduces the recoil by about 30 percent. It also allows you to tune the rifle to the load. If you have a preference for a bullet type the BOSS allows adjusting the barrel harmonics to get it shooting right.

The drawback is the increase in noise and side blast. If you big game hunt with it, bring ear plugs on a string over your neck. The reduction in recoil is a huge advantage when shooting at game. I have shot game without ear protection and using the BOSS, the big game fell over. But; folks do call me huh? now.

It makes the recoil of hot .338 winchester Magnum feel like a 30-06. I love it and the BAR.