In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 sights

staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference between a NOVAK or a BOMAR style sights?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I am pleased to find out that most any aftermarket adjustable 1911 rear sight, will fit my Llama Max-1. But some may require removing the firing pin safety.I don't want to do that, so does anyone know what rear 1911 sights will allow me to keep my firing pin safety?I really would like to have and adjustable sight.Also, is this a mod I can do myself, or do I need a gunsmith.(I have VERY limited gunsmithing skills).

www.waveformwear.com
    The new wave in free expression.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have a well worked 1911 project gun. the next thing on the plate to be added to the pistol is a set of sites. the standard mil spec sights that SA put on it are just not addiquat for target shooting.

what are the best sights out ther for target type shooting. i don't do any actual cometitions but am not counting that option out

i have thaught bout putting a red dot on it but would like to have iron sights as well.

can anyone steer me in the right direction

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    i personaly do not beleive that you need to carry an anti tank rifle for personal protection.

it doesn't matter how big your gun is, it's what you do with it when it counts :)

the 1911 is proof that God loves guns
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you change the front sight on a MKIV Series 70 with fixed sights? Are they pressed in place? This one shoots low. Thanks.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Some years ago, I had a set of Millett adjustable sights put on a colt gov't model 80 series and it worked very well for me.

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
    NRA Life Member
  • Options
    Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with some GIGANTIC adjustable black serrated sights.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would decide if I was going to compete or not before I put a sight on, and what kind of competition {bullseye, i.d.p.a.,steel, etc.}, while millet sights are good as far as using them they are prone to breakage, I myself prefer novak sights for my rear sights, and since I do compete I chose the novak extreme duty adjustable sights with tritium for my rear, and hi-viz {.90}for the front both dovetailed

Here is a link for the extreme duty, they work well and have a 125 tenon , and will also work as a concealment sight
    http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21362

I have a set of Wilson combat sights I am thinking about putting up for auction, here is the specs on them

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_sights.asp

only draw back is I like a little more space between my front and rear sights, the Wilson's are fine for bulls eye .125 front and rear, and Wilson has their own dovetail
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    My vote would be BOMAR The rear sight blade is clean and they are made from good Quality Steel not investment cast. The adjustment screws are long wearing . It your shooting will allow it The one piece Rib design works to have both front and matching rear with only a few holes in the slide This will add weight to the gun and softer recoil.
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have given much thaught to the bomar sights, but i don't want to put the rib on the slide.

in all likelyhood i will put the affor-mentioned novak extreme duty sights on my 1911 so that i may also get the frame tapped and allow the use of a red dot or hollo sight. not to mention the fact that i like the low profile disign and they look as though they will fit my needs

i do hav e one question though! the novak sights are listed for colt, kimber and S&W. the base gun used to build my pistol was a SA milspec 1911 with the standard military style sights on it.

oviousely i will have to get the slide cut but which set would i get . . .t he colt or kimber?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    i personaly do not beleive that you need to carry an anti tank rifle for personal protection.

it doesn't matter how big your gun is, it's what you do with it when it counts :)

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:oviousely i will have to get the slide cut but which set would i get . . .t he colt or kimber?

I use the colt, but I would ask who you are going to have cut it what dovetail cutter they have, the colt uses a .500 x 65 cut .770 foreword of the rear of the frame leaving .125 on the rear
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

I use Kimber sights on my Kimber Gold Match. They are a rather large but you can see them really well and they are easy to align.

I also have a 1911 Govt. and I cannot align these sights at all because I can't them very well because they are too small. My next addition to the 1911 Govt. was to add a good set of ghost ring sights. I don't think they are precise enough for competition target work, but they are fast and relatively accurate.

Regards,

Heavyiron

bullitt_county_4199_small.jpg
    "If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info guys

most helpfull

• Options
    redbikerredbiker Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a SA MilSpec 1911 and the front sight is not a dovetail. It uses a medium width tenon. I had a hard time finding any front sight to fit without gunsmithing the gun. Finally just got a new SA front sight post from SA and I'll put some of that glow paint on it for better visibility. The rear sight is an adjustable Novak sight.
    Myles

Myles
    Gunnison, CO
    SA Mil-Spec .45 custom
    Charles Daly 9mm HiPower
    Walther P99 .40S&W
    Taurus Tracker 4".357
    Ruger Mark II, custom target.
    Ruger M77, .30-06
    Mosin-Nagant M44 chinese carbine w/bayonet
    Marlin-Glenfield Model 100 .22semi
    Western Auto Model 1894 .30-.30