In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My first AR15

TweakerTweaker Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a complete Bushmaster 20" HBAR. I want to try a Bushmaster 16" HBAR upper. Will my Bolt Carrier Assembly drop in without any adjustments?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were you, I'ld think seriously about getting another screen name, if you want straight answers. To many folks around here have had serious problems with Tweakers, me included.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am not sure how that relates to my qustion?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did someone named tweaker mistreat you at some time?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tweaker
    I am not sure how that relates to my qustion?

No offense meant, but where I live a Tweaker is a hard core Meth user, that nobody in their right mind wants to see running around with anykind of a AR. To have somebody call themselves a Tweaker, has a very negative connotation. Almost like their proud of it.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see you have the word snow in your user name! Around here snow is a word used for cocaine! I do thank you for the crash course in slang in your area! I think drugs are a waste of money! Money spent on drugs is better spent on ammo for the range! The next time I go out to the garage to tweak my TA(350 4 bolt) I will just say NO! I sure would not want to offend any one by tunining my car. I guess we both learned something today!
  • Options
    danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes your bolt carrier will drop in with no problems. When you change barell lengths on the ar you can run into problems. The distance from the gas port in the front site post to the key in your bolt carrier is preset to function the rifle properly.

When you change that length you change the amount of pressure going through the tube. The three ways this is dealt with is "pig-tail" gas tubes, different buffers and drilling the gas port "DON'T DO THE LAST ONE!"

Dropping the 4 inches of barell may or may not cause you problems. Try it out. If you have function probs, this is why. Good luck.

danski
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your bolt and carrier assy will be interchangeable.
    I'd rethink an HBAR anything. They convert a neat lightweight carbine to
    a heavy, unwieldy clunker.
    You can get excellent accuracy from a medium weight 16" barrel and still have the handiness the AR was intended to provide.
    I trimmed the barrel under the handguard of a medium wt SS 16" OLY to the same diameter as the front of the barrel and still get beautiful accuracy in a lighter gun. It's not much heavier than a featherweight barrel but much more accurate.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Tweaker - All though this is off the topic rufe-snow was attempting to inform you that your choice for a Gunbroker name is that of a drug addict on methamphetamine. FYI, it is not just a name used in his area for meth heads, but it is name used all across the United States for meth addicts. I have to work with the aftermath of this scurge on a daily basis, and it is not funny by any stretch of the imagination. Since it appears you are unaware of this problem, you would be wise to start learning how serious this problem is to prevent you or a family members from being injured or killed by a tweaker. BTW, your analogy of rufe-snow 'nom de plume' to cocaine is somewhat obtuse.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tweaker, the bolt carrier will drop right in to the new upper. You will have no issues with a 16" barrel. The gas tube will not be a problem. Keep the name, if you have a nickname that other people take offense to, that is their problem. People, don't judge a book by its cover. I think it is pretty rude to ask a guy to change his screen name because you have made a negative connection with it.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks
  • Options
    hksrulehksrule Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I would've never guessed that a name would cause so much grief. So what if he is a meth head? Is that anyone elses business? I would've thought that the point of this forum is to gather information from gunowners about guns. I didn't think it was meant to be a place where someone cant create a name for himself for the fear that it may somehow be drug related. I think we should stick to Q&A. Let's see if that works
  • Options
    artvlsartvls Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some like to check the head space when changing the bolt from one barrel to another. I have the head space gauges and have not had any problem changing bolts from different makes to different barrels. The only barrels you need to watch out for are ones made by Olympic arms as they do not head space there barrels unless you have them do it for you or you buy a complete upper, as they expect the gun smith to do this, some would call this "tweaking". [:D]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too wasn't aware of that connotation of tweaker. However, Rufe (call in German) and snow also made the cocaine suggestion to me.
    Neither bother me. As a hobby, I tweak many things for better performance. I'm saddened to hear another good word has been poisoned.