In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Digital Scale

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
Need to get a Digital Scale, What is a good scale?? from $100.00 to $160.00 in price. Will load for handgun and up to 1000 Grains or so for the 50cal.[:)]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member..NRA,
American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS, IDPA
Thanks for all the help!

IN GOD WE TRUST! *And don't use Pay Pal!

Comments

• Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've been checking out some digital scales and am wanting to purchase one. pretty much every one i have checked out is accurate to.1 gr. also checked out jewelry scales and they are accurate to .01 gr. would the extra accuracy be worth my while or would anyone suggest a reason not to use a jewelry scale. the jewelry scale is cheaper than all the reloading scales i have checked out. any information would be helpful. also what reloading scale would/did you purchase and why.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Most weighing scales should weigh to, and be accurate to 1/10 of a grain, even the jewlery scales should be, but most of them are in grams, although some of them will convert over to grains...
    I use a Model 90 RCBS digital scale, they don't make them any more but you can find them on the auction sites from time to time. They are one super scale
    and cost RCBS a bunch of money to develop. As fas as I'm concerned they are the absolute best there is, or ever will be.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a two of electronic ones, the old beam scale doesn't see much use anymore. I wanted a low budget portable scale....low budget because I would be taking it places and did not want to risk my good digital. I only spent what I could loose and not get bummed out.

I bought my 'portable' from Cabelas for about $ 80 to $ 90. Works fine, any common unit you want, is repeatable, and matches my better digital scale +/- 0.02 or 0.04 at most. I don't count that as a problem, within 0.1 grain is just fine.

I work in a lab, and to get 0.01 repeatability (in grams), you have to have a weighing chamber to remove drafts, everything has to be the same temp (to not MAKE currents in the weighing chamber), etc. etc. that doesn't matter for this post.

Knowing what I know now, If the lower priced (like Cabelas) were around then, I would have just bought the lower priced. As I recall, there were not as many makers of digital scales when I made my first purchase, so I got something more expensive, from a trusted name brand.

Go with the $ 100 +/- , all will be fine. Put it in a padded area, keep fresh batteries, keep it clean and ALWAYS set it on SAFE or LOCK when putting it away. That will keep any bumps from connecting with the 'strain brains' that determine weight.

ENJOY !

If we do not hang together,
    We will most certainly hang separately.