In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

anyone familiar with remington 510 targetmaster?

70SWGR70SWGR Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
edited July 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have a .22 remington 510 targetmaster that was my Grandfather's.My dad has a similar remington .22 like the 510 but it has a clip,he also had a tube magazine gun but sold it.
I visited the gun museum in Cody,WY this week and seen a remington rifle that looks exactly like the single shot .22 510 targetmaster but it was a different caliber?Possibly a .264 and it was a 610 targetmaster?Anybody know?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello the 510 is a member of a family of nice 22LR rifles made pre 1964 the 510 was single shot the 511 was clip repeater the 512 was tube magzine repeater the 521 light target rifle the 513 medium target rifle and the 513 S was a very nice sporter with checkered stock the early ones were not grooved for scope the later 5XX -x were I am sure I missed some other models with factory peep sight ETC. direct competator to winchester 68,69,75
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have you ever seen a different caliber than the .22 and the model looked exactly like the 510?
    My dad has the bull barrel and action from one of the target models and he would like to convert it to .22 magnum.Can this be done?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello IMHO it would never be a good idea to try to convert to 22 Mag . not only will you have feed problems in any thing but a single shot but the BORE size is different and a MAG in a LR barrel will cause dangerous pressure. I have never seen any other cartridge in a 5xx series rifle as it is rim fire and made later then the other rimfire cartridges "25 and 32" were popular. they use the bolt handle as one of the 2 rear locking lugs and MOST remington centerfire rifles use front locking lugs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sent an email to the Cody gun museum and a person there said the gun I seen is a remington model 610 .267 rim fire caliber that looks identical to the 510 except for the different caliber.This must be a rare gun because I've never seen or heard of one before?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This must be rare as I can find no ref. to either gun or cartridge. Reminginton did make an attempt to compete with the winchester 22 mag when they brought out the 5mm rim fire mag but they were in the model 591/592 ammo for these hard to come by and IMHO has been past by with the 17 rimfire that are now on the market. I would try to contact remington.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .267 was a governmental experimental cartridge made by Remington.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen the 510 converted to 22 mag. The 580 is even stronger. Many 22s are not able for this type of conversion as the only "locking lug" is the bolt handle. The 510 has an additional locking lug 180 opposite the handle. The 580 has 6 locking lugs at the rear of the bolt similar to the Rem 788s and the Manlicher Steyer. The chambers is not long enough to convert a tube feed or magazine feed but the single shot needs little modification. I am converting a 510 to 17 HMR.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Will a new barrel for the 510 .22 to .17 HMR be expensive?
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    quote:512 was tube magzine repeater

Actually the 512 Sportmaster was a bolt action.

00023904.jpg
    "Gunner sabot tank! Identify! UP! Fire! ON THE WAY!!" <<boom>>

"It's all about shot placement..."
    awcountdown_sm.gif
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have the 510 barrel relined to the 17 cal.