In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

varmint cartridges in 98 mauser?

andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
edited August 2005 in Ask the Experts
what kind of varmint cartridges can fit in the large ring 98 mauser?, can a 22-250 work?

Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer. - Don Corleone

Comments

• Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 98 Mauser standard bolt face fits the 30/06,308.270,standard size cartridge family. It is too large for 223,204 .222 size rims without expensive modification.The 22/250 is by far the most common conversion. Lately I have become sold on the .243 as a varmint round.Noslers 55 gr. ballistic tip .243 has made me quit using the 22/250. My Savage shoots them into one ragged hole at 100 yds.with monotony. they are going about 4000 FPS which beats the 22/250.The
    243 can also use bullets up to 100 grs. which makes it much more versatile .Hope tis gives you something to think about.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    like d.s. said above, .22/250, .243, 6mm rem.,250 sav., .257 rob. all work well in the 98 mauser.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    andy,

I have a GEW Danzig 1918 rebarrelled in .243. I shoot peep sights on it so accuracy really has to be worked for, but it feeds great.
    I like the .243 and 6mm Rem as well as the 250 Sav. and .257 Rbts. The bolt face will also take a Benchrest case as they have a .473 rim.
    Mauser bolt faces, like D.S. Cole said, won't take the .222 family nor will they take PPC family. If you go with the 22-250 or 250 Sav. you will probably need to file the feed rails on the inside of the action to get the rounds to feed as they have quite a taper to them, but other than that they should work great.
    The '98 mauser is a great choice for a varmint rifle overall.
    -Good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Andrew,

Of course you can use the 22-250 in a Mauser. It takes a few modifications but they aren't hard. The cartridge is shorter and has a bit more taper than the the standard _x57 cartridges so the modifications help with the feeding.

Any of the 'varmint' cartridges with a 0.473 rim will work satisfactorily in the regular Mauser magazine box although some will need slight modifications. But if you don't want to do modifications to the box or your receiver, I would just start with the 6mm Rem. because it is a derivation of the 7x57 Mauser cartridge. That means it will fit and function just right.

If you don't want the 6mm then neck the 6mm case down to .22 caliber and you have one of the very best high energy, long range varmint cartridges available. This conversion has several different names but there is a website for a version named .224 Texas Trophy Hunter, do a search. One of the original versions was the .224 Clark and Ackley's books talks about this one. Remember that high performance can lead to a somewhat shorter barrel life.

The .243 works great necked down also. It can go by 22 CHeetah, 22-243 Middlestead, 22-243 AI and on.

Link for .224 TTH:

http://www.ttha.com/224tth.htm

Best.
  • Options
    scoutfowlerscoutfowler Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, I found some 125 grain Horady bullets and hope to find a magic load to make mine more of a large varmit gun without barrel and bolt work.

Colin B. Fowler
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Andy, there are two lengths of mauser actions commonly available. The standard length, like the VZ24, and the intermediate length which is widely available as the Yugo M48 or 24/47 rifles. This length action is approx 1/4" shorter then the standard in bolt length. If you don't already have an action you might consider picking up one of these for your project.