In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

green tipped .223 ammo

dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I found a few rounds of .223 (5.56 x 45) and the bullets tips were painted green. I think they were Lake City headstamp. What does the green paint mean?

Tim

Comments

• Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be showing my ignorance, but aren't they the Steel core penetrators?

Got a magnet, put it up to them and see if you get any attraction.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    I may be showing my ignorance, but aren't they the Steel core penetrators?

Got a magnet, put it up to them and see if you get any attraction.

Yes, they are.... called SS 109.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Military and NATO standard 62g SS109 steel core as stated.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For clarification the M855 rd has a small steel penetrator in the tip of the bullet, it is not steel core. most of the core is lead.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got some like that and they are labeled "Armor Peircing Incendiary",

Don't take to the range on a dry day.
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are mean little rounds. They are good ap rounds

dgac
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    NATO designation for this ammo is SS109, it's US military designation is M855. This is our standard issue, heavier bullet milspec load designed for use in M16A2 and newer rifles with a 1/7 twist barrel. It won't hurt anything to fire this stuff from an M16/M16A1-type 1/12 twist barrel, but it won't group as well. It will however shoot decently out of any of the current AR-types equipped with a 1/9 twist barrel.

This round was designed with a 'penetrator core' for greater penetration of body armor and helmets at longer ranges, but technically (and legally) speaking it's not actually an armor piercing load.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    yes, I found out at the range that they are steel tip penetrators.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK I need to highjack this post for a minute. During my time in the Army as a Tanker (early 70's), we use to go to a miniature range to shoot the coax machine gun (M219) in 7.62. We did this in a single shot mode at targets that were small silhouettes of "enemy tanks" made of steel that were mounted on a moving track. The object of the exercise was fire commands, aiming, leading, & firing of our weapon with on-board sighting system(s). The thing that this thread brought to me was the 7.62 ammo we used had a "green tip". Now I know it wasn't steel penetrates, because I'm sure the range master didn't want he "toys" shot full of holes! Anybody know what these 7.62 greens tips were?