In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primers for SOCOM16 reloads?

Moe1Moe1 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have started reloading 308 winchester brass for my SOCOM16 using CCI large rifle, 200, primers. Now, I find one book that recommends winchester magnum primers.

I started with CCI primers because they are harder and less likely to cause a slam fire. So now I am confused! Should I change to CCI magnum primers or what?

Your advise is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What powder are they using with the mag primers? With some powders you will need to (compensate) by backing off a grain or two if you are near a max load as the mag primer burns hotter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been using Varget but am going to use a slower burning powder such as IMR3031 with the 16" barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I meant a faster burning powder. On review of my book, I think the CCI 200 will be fine.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Moe1
    I have been using Varget but am going to use a slower burning powder such as IMR3031 with the 16" barrel.

Don't want to eat up your post so others can answer, But out of my M1a Varget and CCI BR-2 primers have been a great combo.