In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walther P-1 field strip

treadhead88treadhead88 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I recently picked up a P-1 (P-38 alloy frame). I have visited several web sites with instruction on how to field strip the pistol, however, I cannot get the slide/barrel assembly off the frame. I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. I have been collecting and shooting for over 15 years and am quite proficient in minor smithing. I am at a loss with this. I don't want to damage the pistol. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!
treadhead88

Comments

• Options
    e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have built Five P-1's from parts found on Gunbroker and the Slide will come off easy.
    First pull the slide back and lock it,then rotate the small lever on the left front of the Frame so the flat part faces up,Then holding on to the slide release the slide and it should slide off the front of the frame.
    If it hangs up try moving the lever a bit and also the slide block could be hanging up inside the Frame,If this is the case Hold the Pistol upside down and try again.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Does it have a hex shaped bolt in the frame near the take down lever?? If it doesn't, don't shoot it much or the frame will split. Most do have it, but some don't.
  • Options
    treadhead88treadhead88 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tried it upside down, and on both sides. I have held the slide hold open lever in the down position. I have moved the take down lever every which way, every clock position, tried to shift it right a little, left a little, nothing. I have tried it with the safety lever in safe and fire positions. The slide always go as far as into battery position and thats all. I have tried letting the recoil spring pressure help it off by releasing the slide stop as if I had just inserted a loaded mag and am ready to fire and still nothing. I'm lost. Oh, and I don't see any hex shaped bolt near the take down lever. Again, Thanks for any help/ideas.
    treadhead88