In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help finishing Richards' laminated stk

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I should have started this project 20 years ago! I have 4 Richards' laminated stocks and need some experienced help with sanding. I can finish the inletting and the oil finish but my hands are just too sore to do all the sanding. Anyone interested?
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find that an orbital sander helps with a lot of the bulk sanding. Also with laminate stocks you really don't need to sand finer then about 220 or 360 grit as you are generally looking for, with laminates, a utility finish rather then a fine oil finish. But, to each their own and you will do as you want, as they are of course, your projects.
  • Options
    Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of finish works best with a laminated stock?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If you ever spray a Laminated stock with Auto clear coat, you'll never use anything else, especially if your stocks have nice colors in them.
    If you need to do a lot of sanding, it must be a micro fit, as Franklins didn't usually need that much work done on them.....
    I can help if your not able to.......
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My original thought was to use a product I use on refinishing Gerstner chests. It's called Deft & comes in satin or gloss. The colors on my stocks are VERY pale - nothing like the Richard's web-site. Does the oil or lacquer finish bring out the color?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    rdc5rdc5 Member Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oil is great for bringing out the color. Deft is basically the same thing I use which is a satin spray by Mohawk.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember you can also stain the laminate especially if you are going to use a spray on finish. I did a pale brown one where I sanded it out to 360grit and then stained it with a milspec red brownells finish. I let it set up for several days and then lightly steel wooled it with 0000 wool. You want the look to be even and you don't want to go thru the stain. Next I sprayed it with a clear poly finish, sparingly, and let it dry for several days. Then I went back at it with the steel wool till it no longer had the poly wet look. A light coat of oil on top of that and I was done, and it looked great. Good luck with your projects......