In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45/70 fun shoot

timkaratetimkarate Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Marlin lever action chambered in 45/70 gov. With 45/70 costing over a buck a round it is not much a of gun to go out and shoot for fun. I want to know if I can shoot 45 long colt or any other round out of the gun safely? I am looking for a cheaper round to fire out of the gun when I want to go shooting in the back yard. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no other round you can reasonably shoot out of a .45-70, specifically including .45 Colt. How about a nice .22?
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timkarate
    I have a Marlin lever action chambered in 45/70 gov. With 45/70 costing over a buck a round it is not much a of gun to go out and shoot for fun. I want to know if I can shoot 45 long colt or any other round out of the gun safely? I am looking for a cheaper round to fire out of the gun when I want to go shooting in the back yard. Does anyone have any ideas?

You said the magic word....fun. You may not realize this at this point in time, but reloading bullets can be as much fun (well, almost) as shooting. And those 45/70 rounds will be considerably less expensive. It's the satisfaction that the hobby brings to us that we all seek. You'll see. Best, Joe
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 45/70 is especially worthwhile to reload and the Marlin will benefit by use of ammo that is much stronger than the anemic factory loads safe for use in the old Trapdoors. You would have no problem getting a 400 grain JSP up to about 1,800 fps and that's really fun. And you'll probably cut your costs by at least half, depending on case life.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can load much hotter than factory stuff for your marlin but you can also load way down - I shoot 300 grain lead at 1000fps. They are very accurate, low low recoil, now that's fun and the cost is a fraction of factory ammo.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Wheelweights can still often be had for free. Even if you have to pay, most scrap dealers charge about a buck a pound.

Casting bullets is fun.

Shooting is fun.

Shooting cast bullets can be done for as little as a dime a round.

:-)