In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Garand Subtleties

givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
Greetings folks! Would there be a way to tell by month/year, or SerNo when the Garand "transitioned" from the lockbar rear sight to the plain wheel?

I have a G. SerNo 3858709. Barrel SA-6-45. Should it have the lockbar? Thanks, Joe
EDIT
Thanks, CP. Series III, you say? Man, I've got to get a book on this. I didn't know there were "subtleties to the subtleties" HA! Best, Joe

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it would be a Lockbar series III.

CP
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Type III lock bar for your rifle, which is very late production. I have one of it's brothers with a 3.87 million number, also with a June, 1945 dated barrel. The later TT105E1 sight (which did away with the lock bar completely) was actually developed in late 1944 but none were used during WWII. After the war all M1s which went through rebuild/over haul had their rear sights replaced with the updated type as a matter of course and this is why so few lock bar rear sights remain and why they are so valued by collectors.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, M/C. I'll have to get a book just to see what I've got. It will also give me revision numbers to use as a reference. Best, Joe
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Type II on the left (notice the rounded lock bar) and Type III on the right (notice the straight lock bar)
    [img][/img][img][/img]00100_0297.jpg

Neither of these is a reproduction, despite what someone may have thought in another M1 thread.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Scott Duff has some of the best Garand books out.
    www.scott-duff.com Very interesting web site.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Scott Duff! That's the ticket! Thanks, DCS..(and thanks again to M/C for the 'graphic'). Best, Joe