In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

scope for my 10.5" s&w 460

jamesbenzjamesbenz Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
this maybe an old topic but my burris just failed and awaiting its return from the factory.I also blew thru a nikon, should I pony up for a leupold and /or should I stay with fixed or variable? most hunting shots not much more than 100yds.
Thanks,
James

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jamesbenz,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

I have had good luck with the Burris products on both handguns and rifles. I use a Leupold on one hunting handgun, it's a 2.5-8X 32mm which has been up and running for about 15 years without a hiccup. I did have 3 Leupold scopes fail on one of my rifles though. I got my money back after the third one.

One might suspect that you would want to reconsider the cartridge...

Best.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say less is more.

For any kind of medium game or larger at 100 yards or less, get a fixed 4x sight and you're done. (Actually a fixed 2-3x would work well too).

Fewer knobs to twiddle, less parts/mechanisms to go wrong, and possibly better brightness.

IMO, high magnification scopes arent' well suited to pistols. At high magnification you lose eye relief and the narrow field of view makes it harder to identify the target. Further, "wobble" is more pronounced with pistols, especially at high magnification. If you need more than a 4x scope, you probably shouldn't be using a pistol to begin with.

As to brand, its hard to go wrong with Leupold, but I think any of the above *ought* to be good. I don't know what went wrong with yours, but a good fixed magnification sight ought to be fairly durable.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1