In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

buying from out of state

DitDahDitDah Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hey everyone. I need some guidance.

I bought an Alaskan Co Pilot last year in Dec and it's now done...so they want to ship to me...but can only send to a local FFL. The inquiry, order and sale of the rifle I bought was done over the phone. This is the first time I've bought from out of state like this so it's a new experience.

I've called some local places and the fee the receiving FFL wants is usually anywhere from about 25 bucks to 50. Ok...I can live with that I guess, but the places I was able to talk to someone today at want to collect sales tax. I just don't get it... why would they ask for sales tax when I haven't bought the item from them? Can anyone help me out and give some clarification on if they should be doing this or not? Maybe give me some backup documentation. Maybe this is normal and I just have to suck it up.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    We have been over this sale tax issue in ATE and GD so many times that I can't even count that high and no one is ever satisfied with the answer. In some states the retailer is required to collect sales tax on any items he delivers to an end consumer while in other states there is no requirement to do so. The retailer in your state is going to be the person most familiar with the sales and use tax regulations that apply in your location and there is no one size fits all answer on sales taxes.

Here is the link to the Alaska Department Of Revenue, they can answer every possible sales tax question in Alaska with authority. I suggest that you run your question past them.

http://www.tax.alaska.gov/
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your between a rock and a hard place. Unless you can find a local dealer who will transfer it without the sales tax. Depending on your State of residence and/or local ordinances, they might be required to collect sales tax?
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect sales tax on the fee I charge for receiving the gun. I usually don't even know what the buyer paid for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I tried doing a search first...guess I just used the wrong key words [B)]

Well...I think it comes down to the sales people I've talked to not knowing everything at the time of the conversation. The first place I called was sportco...and they told me they'd charge me sales tax...but the guy said "that's what I'm being told"... I just got off the phone with Cabela's and they are telling me they will only charge me 25 bucks...no sales tax. I hope that holds up when the transfer comes to take place next week...guess I'll find out then.

regards.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Herschel...interesting point. Maybe I was getting all wound up over nothing? I'll ask Wild West Guns on Tuesday about their take on that...and ask if they disclose sale price to the receiving FFL...that may sort everything. Thanks!
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    If your state has a state sales tax you are required by law to pay the sales tax on that item period. No matter who or where you bought it. There is a tax form that as a good law abiding citizen you are "required by law" to fill out to pay your due tax. This is NOTHING new and has been around since sales tax began. Most people dont pay this tax and are breaking the law. This is a fact of law, not of opinion.

Most internet/mail order places dont charge the sales tax are they are not set up in any state but their own to "process" the tax. This does not mean you dont owe it, it means that you are responsible for paying the tax to your state.

Some states like WA are "cracking down" since they are broke. One easy way for them to collect this tax is though items that require a 3rd party that is set up to collect taxes for the state like an FFL. The state tells the FFL that if you dont collect the tax we take away your business license and they are out of business. So the FFL follows the rules. This is no different then buying anything with a State license or title like a boat or a car. As soon as you go to transfer the title to you if the tax has not been paid then you will owe it.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Al Gore invented the internet he knew all this would happen.