In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Pre-Woodsman....1920...

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Well, this is the Colt I mentioned in a previous post. Since there was already 9 replies, I started a new post. It made sense because if I had added pictures to the previous post, it would be maxed out at ten and there would be no room for replies.

I think this was a great find and in darn good condition given the fact it's 90 years old. I believe this Colt to have an original finish. The machine/milling lines are very faint, but noticable on the slide as well as the frame. The high-spots do have finish wear, as would be typical. Barrel is dated 1903 and the serialization is quite clear. The backstrap is weak on finish, but not showing patina. The only think I can't figure out is why someone would bugger up the grips in the manner they did. My only guess would be that they began to chip, and the owner at the time decided to remove the checkering completely. Notice the diamond shape is actually raised, and in one picture showing the top of the right grip you can see the only trace of checkering.

Anyway, check it out for yourself and let me know your thoughts.

Aaron

[img][/img]100_6213.jpg
[img][/img]100_6212.jpg
[img][/img]100_6211.jpg
[img][/img]100_6208.jpg
[img][/img]100_6207.jpg
[img][/img]100_6206.jpg
[img][/img]100_6205.jpg
[img][/img]100_6204.jpg
[img][/img]100_6203.jpg
[img][/img]100_6202.jpg
[img][/img]100_6201.jpg
[img][/img]100_6200.jpg
[img][/img]100_6199.jpg
[img][/img]100_6198.jpg
[img][/img]100_6197.jpg
[img][/img]100_6196.jpg
[img][/img]100_6195.jpg
[img][/img]100_6194.jpg

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has the original mainspring housing; use only standard velocity ammo. The grips are probably the original ones and someone "improved" them by sanding down the checkering. Maybe it was worn so they decided to remove it. People buy guns and treat them just like they own them; who knows. Is the magazine two tone? Finish looks almost too good to be original but really can't tell from the pictures, you might get a better indication if you take the grips off. In any case for $325, think that was the price you mentioned, you did fine in my opinion. You can always get your money back and maybe a little more. However, once you shoot it I doubt you'll want to part with it anyway. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't tell if it is the original blue, but if not, it is a good job of a reblue. Quit whining over the grips, you got a great deal.
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I honestly think that it's the original finish. The high spots and muzzle have wear, but I was not able to really reflect that with my camera. I probably need to invest in a better one.... You are correct that the pictures don't tell as good a story as I hoped they would. The magazine is two-toned, with a brass (if I'm not mistaken) follower.

I just took the grips off. There was so much dust behind them, I'm not sure they've ever been off (except for when the previous owner buggered them up.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Mooned GREAT looking Pistol I dont think it has been refinished . I am not 100 % sure but looks like the Grain type finish on Military WW I 1911 pistols. I have some 1930 vintage woodsman's that have High polish finish but IMHO most REBLUE jobs have a TOO HIGH GLOSS look The colt ace also had a very high polish. Again yours almost looks like a surface grinder finish on the flat surfaces. I think you got a real DEAL ., On top of the finish I believe the Grips are original and not worn but came that way . I need to do some more research.

EDIT Email and pictures sent. Gnight Karl.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MOONED
    The magazine is two-toned, with a brass (if I'm not mistaken) follower.

Your very lucky! It appears to be the original magazine. I forget the exact number, but the initial magazines that Colt manufactured for the pre Woodsman had a brass follower. They are quite rare nowadays, and if factory original and in Very Good condition have substantial value to a collector.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    MOONED.......the photos just reinforce the previous thread...what a great deal! Luck favors the prepared mind! She looks just fine except the grips and they actually look rather good (except for the rash marks on the right grip) the way that they are! Just too hard to tell if it has been reblued, but if I had to guess w/o it in my hand, I would say NO as the Colt and the serial # look crisp; or if she is reblued it is so old that hard to tell. I would agree with you, I just hope that I look as good when I am 90+ years old! Great find, great buy at that price. Have a great Memorial Day with your old/new Colt! They are a hoot to shoot with regular .22 ammo.