In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossberg Model 144 SLB problem

sharon1sharon1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a Mossberg Model 144 SLB. when i place the gun on safe the gun will not fire as it should. when i flip the safety off the trigger automatically fires without touching it. i have replaced the trigger plunger and plunger spring. the weapon has been cleaned spotless. the plunger and spring at the rear of the trigger is functioning also. can't understand why when the safety is slid to the left ie...taking it off that it fires automatically. when i disassemble the gun and hold the trigger forward and release the safety the trigger will not fire as it should. when i release the trigger it will fire without actually pulling the trigger ie...it fires on its own. need help.

Comments

• Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Hmm sounds like the trigger articulation to the bolt is screwed up check those surfaces for wear. that or you need to adjust the trigger stronger

Edit: I am almost for a fact postive the plunger screw needs a couple of turns clockwise and the trigger will sit higher on the bolt. As it stands right now yours is so light the safety is holding the tigger on the bolt but just lightly, when you free the trigger IE flipping the safe there is little articulation and the pin travels forward. Make sense?
  • Options
    sharon1sharon1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mossbergboogie thanks for idea. i tried it by moving the trigger plunger the entire length of the screw and it still releases the trigger automatically when the safety is taken off. also i noticed that after the trigger releases and fires on its own....and the bolt is pulled back to chamber another cartridge the firing pin automatically goes in when the safety is not on. when the safety is on it stays cocked. in other words after every shot you would have to put the safety on, extract the spend shell, rechamber another round, then take the safety off and fire. you should not have to put the safety on after every shot. it should chamber a round with the safety off and the firing pin remaining to the rear visible at the rear of the bolt. it does not, the firing pin will not stay back when the bolt is extracted unless the safety is on.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharon1
    Mossbergboogie thanks for idea. i tried it by moving the trigger plunger the entire length of the screw and it still releases the trigger automatically when the safety is taken off. also i noticed that after the trigger releases and fires on its own....and the bolt is pulled back to chamber another cartridge the firing pin automatically goes in when the safety is not on. when the safety is on it stays cocked. in other words after every shot you would have to put the safety on, extract the spend shell, rechamber another round, then take the safety off and fire. you should not have to put the safety on after every shot. it should chamber a round with the safety off and the firing pin remaining to the rear visible at the rear of the bolt. it does not, the firing pin will not stay back when the bolt is extracted unless the safety is on.

Well maybe contact Vic and cheryl havlin if you are still having trouble. www.havlinsales.com or just got to a gunsmith.