In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

swede carbine.......ser. # ?? wth

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts

I picked this up at a local gunshow yesterday (I DID NOT DO THE HACK JOB, SNIFF). ANYWAY WHATS WITH THE SER. #. According to my books this should have been mgf. in 1918. ALL numbers match, exc. bore, metal at 90%+

swede1.jpg
swede2.jpg
swede3.jpg

this is what it SHOULD look like

P1010002-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike -
    Just curious - what book has serial number info for these rifles? I didn't know that there was such a thing - I have just always looked at the date on top of the receiver.

I only have one M96, but it is a great shooter and I always keep my eyes open at gun shows for another one (at a good price).

Thanks
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was rooting around on this web site.

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/94swede.html

From what I could gather, they made the Swede carbine in that serial number range, up until 1918, then there was a 10 year hiatus in which none were made, then they began manufacture again in 1928, which means that this serial number is correct for the year.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    Allen, my book is "THE SWEDISH MAUSER" by steve Kehaye & Joe Poyer. the Swede's were very methodical with thier ser. #'s and the 'book' said they stoped production of the carbine in 1918 at about #120,000. With some production in the late 1920's but with higher ser. #'s

edit: I see there were others made in this ser. # range that late, Thanks for the info. I've sent info on mine (3) to him also.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Mike.......interesting little M94! According to Swedes, production stopped in 1918 at @ Serial #112,000, or 600 or so from your #. But production of the little carbine continued off and on until the mid-1930's with a total of @115,000 being made. Bet your was a "left over" from the 1918 run that was one of the last 3000 or so put together by the factory, which would explain the 1929 receiver date. Again, interesting rifle. Have a great Memorial Day!