In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

american made vs british made enfield?

redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
had a man tell me today that the ameriacn made british enfield and the ones made in england did not shoot the same 303 cartridge. i told him he was wrong! can anyone tell me who's right, thanks

Comments

• HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The P-14 Rifle was made in the US for Great Britain. It fired the .303 British cartridge. When the US entered WW I the design was changed to U. S. Cal. .30 for use of U. S. forces and was designated M1917 and commonly referred to as the Enfield. The rifles look alike.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Are we talking about the P14 Enfield contract rifles produced by Winchester, Remington Arms and Eddystone for the British in .303 or the US Rifle Model 1917 Enfield chambered in .30-06 and used by the US military? .303 Enfields fired the same .303 cartridge no matter where they were produced.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless someone comes on here and corrects me, it could happen. You are correct. There are some 7.62 x 51 rifles that were rearsenaled to the cartridge. These were in no way American made. Although there were some No 4's that were American made (made by Savage), I am not sure of the how many were made, but they were in the .303 British round.
  • redman.com1redman.com1 Member Posts: 718 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    no, i was refering to the british enfields such as mark 1's - 4's and the ones made by savage.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The US contract rifles were built to British specifications and were designed to be chambered for the standard .303 cartridge and in 1914 this should ahve been the MkVII round with a 175gr bullet. As far as I know the MkVII remained in service for the life of the Enfield series. .303 sporting ammunition was being loaded by US companies during this time but this was not MILSPEC and these cartridges were not intended for use in military rifles.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mk 2A Enfield was originally chambered in 7.62mm NATO by the Ishapore Arsenal in India; it was not a conversion.

Neal
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redman.com1
    had a man tell me today that the ameriacn made british enfield and the ones made in england did not shoot the same 303 cartridge. i told him he was wrong! can anyone tell me who's right, thanks

See what happens when you ask an open ended question ....[;)]

The American made versions of and British made Pattern 14 were chambered in 303 British; the American made 1917 (based on the 1914) shoots the 30.06.

The Savage built No4 Mk1 was chambered in 303 British only as were the ones made in England and Australia - same cartridge.

The Indian made No1 MkIIIs made in the mid 60s (L2 & L2A1?)were manufactured as 7.62 NATO.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a common misconception that the Savage built #4 Enfields did not take the same cartridge as the other British Enfields since there is a cartridge named .303 Savage. In reality, the Enfields made by Savage were chambered for the .303 British, the same as the other British Enfields.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    what about the enfields made in longbranch?[;)][:D]
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The shot the same 303 British cartridge.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    quote:Originally posted by redman.com1

See what happens when you ask an open ended question ....[;)]

The American made versions of and British made Pattern 14 were chambered in 303 British; the American made 1917 (based on the 1914) shoots the 30.06.

The Savage built No4 Mk1 was chambered in 303 British only as were the ones made in England and Australia - same cartridge.That's what I've got

The Indian made No1 MkIIIs made in the mid 60s (L2 & L2A1?)were manufactured as 7.62 NATO.