In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shooting a rolling block

swampthing36swampthing36 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have been given my great grandfather's Remington Rolling Block long gun. It is a converted rifle that sports a 20 gauge barrel. The barrel is steel, and not twist. Action is solid, no rust no pits, etc. Wondering if it is safe to shoot low brass, standard velocity in the gun? Please advise.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The rolling block action is fairly strong, however they spring quite badly. At the pressure levels encountered in shotgun shells, you should be okay, but I'd have a competent gunsmith look it over.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

The rolling block action is fairly strong, however they spring quite badly. At the pressure levels encountered in shotgun shells, you should be okay, but I'd have a competent gunsmith look it over.
    . Thanks for the advice. I dropped the rolling block off at a local gunshop today. Their smith actually owns a rolling block himself. He's going to go through the entire gun and check it out.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note, Rem. made r.b. shotguns in 20 ga. If yours has a 'grove' on top of the reciver (over the chamber area) it is an original shotgun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    just to note, Rem. made r.b. shotguns in 20 ga. If yours has a 'grove' on top of the reciver (over the chamber area) it is an original shotgun.
    Mike, it does have the groove! I am wondering about a few other things on it. Would the receive have been case colored? How about the hammer and rolling block itself? Trigger guard? Buttplate? Would the barrel have been blued?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    the receiver was c.c. and the hammer & block probably were also. I had one of these a long time ago. I did shoot mine but would recommend light loads if your's gets a clean bill of health from the gunsmith.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    According to Flayderman's Guide, the Rolling Block shotguns were made from 1870 through the 1890's. They had either damascus or plain barrels. The "Model 1" was a 16 gauge. The "Model 2" was a 20 gauge made from surplus military parts and barrels and had military buttplates.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    According to Flayderman's Guide, the Rolling Block shotguns were made from 1870 through the 1890's. They had either damascus or plain barrels. The "Model 1" was a 16 gauge. The "Model 2" was a 20 gauge made from surplus military parts and barrels and had military buttplates.
    thanks for the information! Means alot :)
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swampthing36

You're welcome. Pictures would be nice when you get your gun back from the 'smith. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1

You're welcome. Pictures would be nice when you get your gun back from the 'smith. [:)]can do!
  • Options
    edited November -1

You're welcome. Pictures would be nice when you get your gun back from the 'smith. [:)]can do!

Ok guys, the shop just called and said the barrel of the rolling block shotgun is too far gone to shoot safely. Any ideas as to where to find a replacement? I've already by to Numrich. No luck there. Please advise