In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee .312-155 bullet fo rgame

travis3travis3 Member Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
How will would the Lee .312-155 bullet work for game fired from a 308 win. or 30-06 at 2000 fps, made from air cooled wheel weights?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,977 ******
    edited November -1
    NOT WELL, IT WOULD ACT LIKE A FMJ
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What if I made up some with lead noses
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WHEEL WEIGHTS ARE (MOSTLY) LEAD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nose would be of pure plumbers lead, back driving area would be WW
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I feel some people discount the use of lead bullets for hunting. I for one would have no qualms about shooting White-tail deer at 100 yards or less dangerous Game no I would want more velocity and jacketed soft nose bullet. After all there have been many men killed during the wars fought in the last 100 years with non expanding bullets I suspect at those velocities.I have recovered many lead bullets shot at game and for the most part they don't break up unless they hit a bone Nose just sort of looks like a rivet head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullet would be used for small whitetail 125 yards or less.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LIKE PERRY SAID, SURE YOU CAN USE THEM AND THEY WILL KILL A DEER....BUT.....THERE ARE MUCH BETTER BULLETS AND AMMO FOR THE JOB. MAKING THE TIPS OUT OF PURE LEAD WOULD HELP BUT THIS REQUIRES LOTS MORE WORK AND SPECIAL MOLDS (2). THE OLD 'BUFFALOW' RIFLES DIDN'T DEPEND ON BULLET EXPANSION, THEY STARTED OUT 'BIG'. A BETTER IDEA WOULD BE TO 'DOWN LOAD' ONE OF THE .30 CAL. PISTOL BULLETS.